The Boston Bruins will begin their '09-'10 campaign when they host Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals tonight at the TD Garden (7:00, Versus, 98.5 FM The Sports Hub). The B's and Caps were the class of the Eastern Conference last year, finishing 1st and 2nd respectively in the East and will both look to start the season off on a high note. Off-season additions Derek Morris and Steve Begin are expected to make their debuts for the B's.
Know Your Enemy
Washington Capitals (50-24-8, 108 pts; 2nd in East in '08-'09)
Leading Scorer in '08-'09:Alex Ovechkin (56 G-54 A-110 Pts)
Bruins Projected Lines & D-Pairs
Capitals Projected Lines & D-Pairs
Boston Bruins Injuries
Washington Capitals Injuries
Projected Starting Goaltenders
After winning the Vezina last season, Tim Thomas hopes to build off his success last year. He enters the '09-'10 season as the definitive #1 goaltender for probably the first time in his NHL career.
Varlamov, who changed the spelling of his name from Simeon to Semyon during the off-season, hopes to make a name for himself after showing a lot of promise in limited time with the Caps last season. Varlamov emerged in the playoffs, appearing in 13 games with a 2.53 GAA and .918% save percentage.
Today's Obligatory Embarrassing YouTube Fan Video
- David Krejci (hip) is expected to play. The Bruins send Vladimir Sobotka down to Providence, leaving them with just 12 forwards.
- The Caps cut Chris Bourque earlier this week and he was picked up on waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- The Bruins are hosting a Fan Fest event prior to the game outside The Garden from 4:30-6:30
- Don't forget tonight's game is on Versus, which unfortunately means we won't get to see one of the best parts about NESN broadcasts: Mike Milbury and Gord Kuzak acting creepy around Kathryn Tappen.
- The public skate (open thread) will start at 6:30. For those of you that are new to the site, during every game we hold an open thread where can join in and discuss the game with other B's fans. I usually start these about 30 minutes before game time and they run through the end of the game.
- For more on the Caps, check out Japers' Rink