A shorthanded Bruins team was able to collect a point on the road tonight against the Philadelphia Flyers, but ultimately fell in the shootout.
Derek Morris matched Pronger with a blast of his own from the left point. With the Bruins on the power play with 2:34 left in the first period, Zdeno Chara fed a D-to-D pass to Morris, who fired a one-timer that beat Ray Emery to make it 1-1. The goal was Morris' first tally as a member of the Boston Bruins.
The Bruins's lead didn't last long as the Flyer struck just over a minute later. Darren Powe hammered home a rebound in front after Mark Stuart hit the ice after taking a stick to the face from his own teammate, Steve Begin.
Aaron Asham gave Philly the 3-2 lead with 6:54 left in the second when he broke in and fired a slap shot from the right circle.
The B's got back to even when Byron Bitz's shot from the wing rebounded out front and found Steve Begin in the slot. Begin deposited the puck in the back of the goal for his 2nd goal of the season (and his 2nd in as many games).
The Flyers had a golden opportunity to get the go-ahead goal in the last minute of regulation. Jeff Carter had a clear break-away, but Tuukka Rask made a great kick save with the right pad to keep the game tied.
The scored remained tied through the end of regulation and the 5 minute overtime session and the two teams decided the game by
playing rock, paper, scissors shootout.
Flyers 1st Shot: Daniel Briere's shot missed wide right
B's 1st Shot: Wheeler backhander saved by Emery
Flyers 2nd Shot:Mike Richards's backhander saved by Rask.
B's 2nd Shot:Patrice Bergeron lost control of the puck and was handled by Emery
Flyers 3rd Shot:Claude Giroux tucked the puck past Rask 1-0 Flyers
B's 3rd Shot:Michael Ryder's wrister from between circles hits post Final: Flyers Win
- The Bruins were outshot 39-26
- Trent Whitfield looked a lot better in the face-off circle (8 for 10) than he did in his bout with Ole-Kristian Tollefsen.
- Not a good night for Andrew Ference and Mark Stuart. The Ference-Stuart pair was on the ice for all three Flyers goals and were both -3 on the night.
- 2 point night for Derek Morris (1 goal, 1 assist)
- 36 saves for Tuukka Rask including a HUGE save in the final minute of regulation.
- Bruins return to the ice Saturday night in Ottawa