The Bruins scored two goals in the final 1:28 of the third period to tie the game up at 3-3 and force overtime. Patrice Bergeron finished off the comeback for the Bruins with a shootout goal and Tim Thomas did his part but shutting down the Senators in the shootout.
After a scoreless first period, the Bruins struggled to get things going offensively early in the second period. The Bruins had just two shots on goal in the first 11:14 of the second period when the Senators' Jonathan Cheechoo was whistled for hooking. With Cheechoo in the box, the Bruins had a chance to get something going on the power play but coughed up the puck in the attacking zone. Mike Fisher's pass sprung Daniel Alfredsson for a breakaway and the first goal of the game at 11:31 of the second period.
Milan Michalek gave the Sens a 2-1 lead with 10:46 left in the period when he went five hole to beat Tim Thomas.
Mike Fisher made it 3-1 Ottawa when his tough angle shot from the along the right wing boards on the goal line changed directions went it deflected off of a skate and made its way past Tim Thomas.
The Bruins weren't done yet. With 22 seconds remaining in regulation, David Krejci slipped the puck past Brian Elliott with a quick off a feed from Derek Morris for the game-tying goal.
Both teams had several scoring chances in the overtime session, but couldn't find the back of the net. After 65 minutes of hockey, it was off to the shootout for the second straight game.
Senators 1st Shot:Alex Kovalev rang the puck off post.
Bruins 1st Shot: Wheeler tried to tuck the puck past Brian Elliot on the backhand but couldn't elevate the puck and Elliott made a right pad save.
Senators 2nd Shot:Daniel Alfredsson's shot hit the post on Thomas' glove side.
Bruins 2nd Shot:Bergeron fakes a shot and gets Elliot to bite and Bergeron's shot slowly tickles past the goal line under Elliott. 1-0 Bruins lead
Senators 3rd Shot:Jason Spezza is denied by Tim Thomas with a right pad save. B's WIN!!!
- Derek Morris factored into both of the third period goals and has his second straight 2 point night.
- Mark Recchi played in his 1,500th game (most of any active NHL player).
- Tim Thomas made 27 saves, including one cross-crease dive that almost gave Jack Edwards an aneurysm.
- If you are Steve Begin's teammate, you have to appreciate how willing this guy is to stick up for the boys in black & gold.
- Vladimir Sobotka recorded 7 hits.
- Patrice Bergeron was the only Bruins' skater not to record a hit tonight (33 hits for the B's tonight).
- Patrice Bergeron looked very good in the faceoff circle (69%).
- Bruins will return to game action on Thursday night when they host the New Jersey Devils.