The Sabres ended any hopes of the Bruins claiming the President's Trophy with a 6-1 rout of the B's. This game meant nothing and the B's were without some key players including Zdeno Chara, who was given the day off and watched the game from the press box. That being said, this was just embarrassing. The B's did not show any intensity or sustained effort right from the opening face off. The Bruins came out of the gate flat and it put them in a big hole early. The Buffalo Sabres flat out out-played the Bruins and ended their season on a high note. The Sabres could have mailed this one in after being eliminated from the playoffs but they played hard for their hometown fans and got a well-deserved win.
The Sabres jumped out to an early 1-0 lead 3:34 into the game when Tim Connolly picked up a rebound from Thomas Vanek's shot from the left point and chipped the puck past Manny Fernandez.
Buffalo extended their lead to 2-0 on a hard slapper from the top of the left circle by Chris Butler that beat Ferandez up high on the stick side. The blast was Butler's 2nd goal of the season for Buffalo.
The Sabres got their third tally when Jason Pomminville won the puck in the neutral zone after Matt Hunwick couldn't control the puck, creating a 2 on 1 for the Sabres. Pomminville skated in and fed a pass to Thomas Vanek, who found the back of the net on quick one timer for the 3-0 lead with 4:17 left in the first period.
The Bruins, who seemed to be just be going through the motions in the first period, could not stop the bleeding as the Sabres added a 4th goal before the end of the opening period with 2:52 remaining. Daniel Paille tipped in Matt Ellis' shot for Buffalo's fourth goal of the first period.
The offensive onslaught by the Buffalo Sabres continued early in the second period. Matt Ellis skated in without even a challenge by someone with a spoked-B on their chest and beat Manny Fernandez with a wrister on the glove side. Ellis' goal 1:36 into the middle frame gave Buffalo a 5-0 lead.
The Bruins finally got on the board with 6:05 left in the third period with a power play goal by Mark Recchi. Matt Hunwick fired a low slap shot towards the net that was redirected over the shoulder of Mikael Tellqvist by MarK Recchi for his 23rd goal of the season.
Thomas Vanek added some salt in the wound with a late power play goal when he shoveled in a rebound for his 40th goal of the season with 16 seconds left in the game to account for the 6-1 final score.
- Dennis Wideman left the game after taking a shot off the inside of his left foot during the first period but was able to return for the second period.
- B's allowed 18 shots on goal and 4 goals in the first period.
- Manny Fernandez looked shaky at times but he didn't have a whole lot of help in front of him.
- In case you were wondering what the Bruins would look like without Chara, you now have your answer.
- The Sabres finished the season with a record of 41-32-9
- That was the Bruins' largest margin of defeat this season.
- 11 different Sabres recorded a point.
- Sabres fans, enjoy your moral Stanley Cup and long summer vacation.