Phil Kessel closed out the regular season with a hat trick to lead the Bruins over the Islanders in a 6-2 rout on Long Island. The B's came out with a lot of energy early in the game and jumped out to an early lead en route to the 6-2 victory over the Islanders at the Nassau Coliseum.
The Bruins drew first blood when David Krejci and Michael Ryder broke in 2 on 1 and Krejci fed a pass across to Ryder, who found the back of the net for the early 1-0 lead just 23 seconds into the game.
Phil Kessel increased the Bruins lead to 2 with 4:40 left in the first period when he put home a gift-wrapped rebound from a Blake Wheeler shot.
Marc Savard's wrap around goal on the power play 1:09 into the middle period gave the B's a 3 goal cushion.
Phil Kesel got his 2nd goal of the game and his 35th goal of the season on the power play 5:27 into the second period when he picked up the puck at the left circle, skated toward the slot and fired a wrister past Yann Danis. That would be the last action that Danis would see in this game. Danis was lifted in favor of Joey MacDonald after giving up 4 goals.
The Bruins extended their lead to 5 when Kobasew put a backhander past newly-entered netminder Joey MacDonald with 12:58 left in the second period.
The Islanders were finally able to get on the scoresheet with 1:51 left in the second period when Radek Martinek's shot from the left point seemed to deflect off a someone in front and drastically changed directions and got past Tim Thomas for his 6th goal of the season.
The Islanders closed the gap and made it 5-2 early in the third period on Doug Weight's 10th goal of the season 1:27 into the period.
Phil Kessel's off speed one-timer from the left circle floated up high and found its way past the diving Joey MacDonald for Kessel's 3rd goal of the game with 7:07 left in the game.
- Krejci recorded his 100th career point on Ryder's goal.
- Marc Savard, David Krejci, and Mark Stuart played in all 82 regular season games this season.
- Tim Thomas robbed Richard Park from point blank range with a sprawling save early in the second period.
- Marc Savard scored his 25th goal of the season.
- Mark Streit picked up his 40th assist of the season Radek Martinek's second period goal.
- The Bruins goaltenders will take home some hardware at the NHL's annual awards ceremony as the 2009 Jennings Trophy winners for least goals allowed in the NHL with 190 goals against.
- The Bruins finished the regular season 53-19-10
- Tim Thomas made 32 saves to record his career-high 36th win of this season.
- Phil Kessel recorded his 2nd career hat trick.