Just when you thought things could not get any worse for the Boston Bruins, they want and got blown out by the lowly Carolina Hurricanes.
The Bruins carried the play in the opening minutes of the game, but the Hurricanes took advantage of a turnover by the Bruins in their own zone to take a 1-0 lead 7:50 into the game. Ray Whitney picked off a pass by David Krejci, Jussi Jokinen gained possession and left a little touch pass for Whitney, who beat a sprawling Tim Thomas for the early edge and his team-leading 16th goal of the season.
The Canes made it 2-0 with a power play goal by Erik Staal 4:29 into the second period after Jussi Jokinen's pass gave Staal a virtually empty net to shoot at while Tim Thomas took himself out of the play.
Carolina added another goal just over 2 minutes later, a few seconds after Matt Hunwick's hooking minor expired. After recording two helpers on the night, Jussi Jokinen got one for himself after some good puck movement gave him plenty of net to shoot at.
Brandon Sutter made it 4-0 with 8:58 left in the middle period. Ray Whitney skated through almost every guy in a white sweater on the ice and fed a pass to Sutter in front. Sutter's 12th goal of the season chased starter Tim Thomas from the game.
The Hurricanes extended their lead to 5-0 15 seconds into the third period. A turnover by the Bruins in their offensive zone created a 3 on 2 for the Canes going the other way. Brandon Sutter lugged the puck in on the right wing and slid a pass to Chad LaRose, who beat Tuukka Rask with a quick shot from the slot.
The Bruins finally got on the board with a power play goal by David Krejci with 11:04 left in the game when Krejci put in a rebound from a shot by Blake Wheeler.
- The Bruins have now lost 5 straight games and are 1-7-1 in their last 9 games. The Bruins have given up 3.56 goals per game during that stretch, while scoring just 1.78 goals per game.
- I thought that this stretch may have been just due to the injuries that they have been dealing with, but clearly the problem is much deeper. The Bruins need to do something to shake things up.
- I would not want to be on the ice at Ristuccia Arena tomorrow morning.
- Dennis Wideman finished the night a -4 and was on the ice for all 5 Carolina goals.
- You can't really pin the blame on Tim Thomas for this loss, but is hard to say that he looked sharp tonight.
- The Bruins will have a some time to think about this embarrassing loss. They are off until Friday when they travel to Buffalo to take on the Sabres.