All the distractions of the NHL Winter Classic are behind the Bruins and now it is time to focus on just playing hockey again. The Bruins will return to their normal game-day routine today as they are scheduled to take on the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden tonight. The Bruins are looking for their third straight win after winning in dramatic fashion in OT in front of a packed house at Fenway Park on New Year's Day, while the Rangers will try to bounce back from a disappointing 2-1 OT loss to the lowly Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday night.
Know Your Enemy
New York Rangers (19-17-5)
Head Coach: John Tortorella
SB Nation's Rangers Blog: Blueshirt Banter
Leading Goal Scorer:
|2009 - Marian Gaborik||27||25||52||6||14|
|2009 - Henrik Lundqvist||37||2127||17||14||86||2.43||1072||986||.920||1|
|2009 - Matt Zaba
Boston Bruins Injuries
New York Rangers Injuries
Out (IR / Out / Suspended / Physically unvailable)
|Player||Injury Type||Injury Date|
- Don't expect to see newly-signed left winger Miroslav Satan on the ice. Claude Julien has said that he will not be ready for game action for at least a week.
- Milan Lucic has been skating with the team but is unlikely to play tonight. According to Matt Kalman from ESPN Boston, Lucic will travel with the team but will likely sit out both games of the 2-game road trip.
- The Rangers have called up goalie Matt Zaba from Hartford.
- Chris Drury and Ryan Callahan were named to Team USA's roster for the Olympics. Rangers head coach John Tortorella will also serve as an assistant coach for Team USA in Vancouver.
- Tortorella probably didn't win over many of his players this week when he changed the team's policy for travel to Long Island and New Jersey. Tortorella decided that the team would travel by bus from now on instead of taking "10 freaking limos".
- The Rangers rely very heavily on Marian Gaborik to provide their scoring punch. Gaborik's 27 goals account for over 25.5% of the Rangers 106 goals scored this season.
- If recent history is any indication, I would expect a low scoring game.
- Former BU Terrier Matt Gilroy is currently up with the big club. Gilroy has appeared in 36 games this season for the Rangers with 4-2-6 totals and a +3 rating.
- Tonight's game will air on Versus and can be heard on 98.5 The Sports Hub. Puck drops at 7:00. Public Skate open thread starts at 6:30.
Today's Obligatory Embarrassing Rangers
Fan Late 70's Jeans Commercial YouTube Video
Yes, sadly that was Phil Esposito in that video.