The Bruins looked flat all night long from the opening whistle, but strung together 1:26 of inspired hockey to tie the game up at 2-2 late in the third period. The Bruins hopes of winning didn't last long though as Christopher Higgins put the Rangers ahead 3-2 with 1:26 left in the game. While a conference loss certainly hurts, the Bruins might have suffered a much bigger loss tonight that won't show up in the "L" column: Patrice Bergeron left the game in the second period after taking a shot from teammate Dennis Wideman off the right hand/wrist.
The Rangers added a second goal at 7:34 of the second period when Erik Christensen took a pass from Brandon Dubinsky, skated in wide on the right wing, cut in front of goal and tucked the puck past Rask for his 2nd goal of the season.
With Zdeno Chara off for interference with 5:27 remaining the third period, Matt Hunwick picked up the puck in the slot and fired a backhander that found it's way past Henrik Lundvist for a shorthanded goal to pull the Bruins to within one at 2-1.
Blake Wheeler tied it up for the Bruins just 1:26 later when he beat Lundvist top-shelf.
Christopher Higgins quickly put an end to any thoughts of a Bruins comeback win with his eventual game-winner with 1:29 remaining in the third period. Higgins carried the puck from the left wing corner along the goal line and stuffed a backhander past Rask.
- Despite scoring 2 goals in the third period, the Bruins only managed 5 shots in the period.
- Patrice Bergeron was seen leaving the X-Ray room at MSG and icing his right hand. There doesn't seem to be any word on the severity of the injury yet.
"If he’s not back we’ve lost our best player since beginning of the year. That sums it up right there."
- Claude Julien via Joe Haggerty's Twitter page
- The Bruins have to be more disciplined. 4 minor penalties in the first 10 minutes of the game is inexcusable. Chara's penalty late in the game was completely undisciplined (even though the B's did score the shorty).
- According to Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sports New England, Tuukka Rask's explanation of Christoper Higgins goal was "shit happens". I see the kid's English is improving nicely.
- Steve Begin recorded 8 hits.
- The Bruins will be back at it tomorrow night in Ottawa. I completely forgot about the back-to-back games, so Timmy will have the preview for you.