Once again the Bruins held an early lead and outshot their opponent by a wide margin (47-25), but once again they could not hold on for the win as the Montreal Canadiens came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Bruins 3-2 in a shootout. The Bruins have now lost 9 straight games, the longest losing streak in franchise history since the 1924-'25 team lost 11 straight during their first year in the NHL.
The Bruins got on the board 15:48 into the game with a power play goal by Mark Recchi, who tipped in Derek Morris' shot from the slot. Recchi's 11th goal of the season was set-up by a delay of game penalty on Montreal after Andrei Markov flipped the puck over the glass.
After a frantic overtime period, the game went to a shootout.
Montreal's 1st Shooter: Tomas Plekanec faked a shot, went to the backhand and was denied by Tuukka Rask's glove.
Boston's 1st Shooter: David Krejci's backhander was stopped by Jaroslav Halak with the right pad.
Montreal's 2nd Shooter: Scott Gomez's forehand shot was handled by the right pad of Rask.
Boston's 2nd Shooter: Michael Ryder faked forehand before going to the back hand. Blocker save by Halak
Montreal's 3rd Shooter: Gionta faked forehand and roofed a backhander. 1-0 Habs
Boston's 3rd Shooter: Marc Savard's attempt was denied by Halak with the blocker.
- The Bruins missed the net 13 times and had 11 shots blocks. That means that they directed 71 shots towards goal and scored twice.
- Steve Begin was 8-1 from the dot tonight.
- In three games against the Bruins this season, Glen Metropolit has recorded 4 of his 22 points (3-1-4)
- The Bruins are 12-12-5 when out-shooting their opponent.
- The B's still haven't won at home since the Winter Classic.
- The Bruins will host the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday.