The Bruins downed the Flyers 4-1 in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals at Wachovia Center on Wednesday night to take a commanding 3-0 series lead. Blake Wheeler, Miroslav Satan, Mark Recchi (PPG), and Patrice Bergeron (ENG) found their way onto the scoresheet, while Tuukka Rask turned in another rock solid performance in net by turning aside 34 shots. The Bruins will now try to knock off the Flyers in Game 4 on Friday night and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 1992.
The Flyers jumped out to a early lead on a goal from Aaron Asham 2:32 into the game. After a face-off win for the Flyers in their own zone, Blair Betts' clearing pass somehow got past Adam McQuaid at the blueline and Claude Giroux won a foot race to the puck in the neutral zone. Giroux lugged the puck into the zone along the right wing and threaded a pass past Andrew Ference to Asham going to the net. Asham fired a wrister that beat Tuukka Rask on the glove side.
Blake Wheeler quickly evened it up at 1-1 at 4:11 of the opening period. Wheeler set up at the top of the crease and redirected Matt Hunwick's point shot that was heading wide of the cage past Brian Boucher. The goal was Wheeler's first career playoff goal.
The Bruins struck again just 1:34 later. This time it was Miroslav Satan that found the back of the net. Satan broke in a on semi-breakaway, put a good fake on Brian Boucher and beat him with a backhander in close.
The Bruins went up 3-1 with a power play goal 2:30 into the third period. Zdeno Chara fired a shot from the point that deflected off Blake Wheeler in front before finding it's way to the stick of Mark Recchi at the right post, who deposit into the back of the net.
Patrice Bergeron added an empty net goal with 1:52 left in the game to account for the 4-1 final score.
- David Krejci left the game with an injury in the first period after taking a big open ice hit from Mike Richards. He did not return to the game. Claude Julien said after the game that Krejci was taken to a Philadelphia area hospital. It appeared to be a shoulder injury. Adam McQuiad also left the game with an undisclosed injury in the first period. Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sports Net New England is reporting that Krejci has a "potentially separated shoulder" and McQuaid has a sprained knee.
- The Bruins were out-shot 34-20 tonight, but made the most of the opportunities they had to score.
- B's scored 2 goals (including an empty-netter) on 3 shots in the third period
- I like Blake Wheeler getting to the front of the net and using his big frame to screen the goalie.
- The Bruins blocked 21 shots in Game 3. Johnny Boychuk led the block party with 5 shots.
- What is up with Zdeno Chara shaving his playoff beard? Did he do it so the baby-faced Tuukka Rask wouldn't feel left out?
- Flyers fans booed their team late in the third period and about half the fans left with 3 minutes to go in the game.
- Dennis Wideman logged a game-high 28:37
- Game 4 is scheduled for Friday night in Philly (7:00, Versus)
- For more on tonight's game from a Flyers fan's perspective, check out Broad Street Hockey