PHILADELPHIA - JUNE 04: NHL top prospect Tyler Seguin speaks to the media before Game Four of the 2010 NHL Stanley Cup Final at Wachovia Center on June 4, 2010 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)
With the 2nd overall pick in the 2010 SB Nation NHL Mock Draft, the Boston Bruins select Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers.
I'm not going to sit here and act like an expert on a junior hockey player I have never seen play. All I know is that Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin are the class of this year's draft. The Copper & Blue selected Taylor Hall with the #1 pick, so we were stuck with NHL Central Scouting's #1 ranked North American skater.
According to what I have read and heard, Hall is more of a pure goal scorer, while Seguin is more of a playmaker, who makes the players around him better. I think the Bruins need more of what Taylor Hall brings, but if the Oilers take Hall, the B's are still getting a special player in Seguin.
The 6'1" 172 lb centerman finished first in the OHL with 106 points this season (48-58-106) and was awarded the Red Tilson Trophy this season as the OHL Most Outstanding Player.
Fun Facts about Seguin:
- His father, Paul Seguin played for UVM and roomed with John LeClair.
- The 18 year-old Brampton, Ontairo native is apparently a fan of the generic sounds of butt rock, as he lists Theory of a Dead Man as his favorite band.
- He was cut from Canada's 2010 World Junior team.
- Lists Steve Yzerman as his hockey idol.
- Has been quoted as saying that he patterns his game after Henrik Zetterberg.
- Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli along with Assistant GMs Jim Benning and Don Sweeney recently traveled to Brampton, Ontario to meet with Seguin and his family. Chiarelli reported that it was "a very good meeting".
- Ranked second at the NHL Scouting Combine in Peak Power Output (15.4 watts/kg) and third in Body Fat (7.0%).
- Seguin's Plymouth Whalers were swept in the second round of the playoffs by Hall's Windsor Spitfires. Seguin was held pointless in the series and finished with a -6. Hall recorded 8 points (3-5-8) and has a +6 in the 4-game series.