The Bruins jumped out to an early 3-0 first period lead after netting 3 goals on their first 5 shots en route to a 4-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens in their preseason opener in Montreal on Wednesday night. Patrice Bergeron (2 goals), Nathan Horton, and Johnny Boychuk all found the back of the net for the B's, while Tuukka Rask was rock solid with 36 saves.
2-0 Bruins (13:32 of 1st period): Six seconds after Gabriel Dumont was whistled for hooking, Johnny Boychuk ripped a slapper from the high slot to make 2-0 on the power play. Bartkowski recorded his second assist of the night, while Tyler Seguin added a secondary assist.
3-0 Bruins (15:20 of 1st period): Patrice Bergeron tucks the puck past Price on the backhand after take a nifty backhand pass from Daniel Paille on the left wing.
3-0 Bruins at the end of 1st period (Shots in 1st period: Habs 11 B's 6)
4-0 Bruins (2:17 of the 2nd period): Patrice Bergeron scores a shorty for his second of the game with Daniel Paille off for hooking.
Midway through 2nd period: Carey Price was lifted for Curtis Sanford. Price gave up 4 goals on 9 shots. Fans at Bell Centre gave Price a loud mock cheer as he leaves the ice.
10:01 of 2nd period: Adam McQuaid and Andrew Conboy dropped the gloves right off the draw. Conboy took a run at McQuaid behind the net in the first period and was called for interference. McQuaid took exception to the hit and scrummed with Conboy after the hit. This scrap may have been a carry over from the first period hit. McQuiad landed a few big shots and made quick work of Conboy. McQuaid got in an extra punch or two as they two were falling to the ice. Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com thinks that McQuaid went after Conboy to send a message to Conboy for attacking Steve Kampfer during a college game.
4-1 Bruins (12:04 of 2nd period): Maxim Lapierre got Montreal on the board with a shorthanded goal with Gabriel Dumont (hooking) watching from the box. Tomas Plekanec carried the puck in along the left wing boards and fed a pass in front to Lapierre, who was crashing the net.
4-2 Bruins (19:20 of 2nd period): Mike Cammalleri dropped a saucer pass back to Tomas Plekanec, who roofed the puck over Tuukka Rask as Rask tried to poke the puck off Plekanec's stick. Matt Hunwick looked on from the penalty box after sending the puck over the glass for a delay of game call at 18:58.
4-2 Bruins at the end of 2nd period (Shots in the 2nd period: Habs 10 B's 6)
No Scoring in 3rd Period
End of Game: Bruins win 4-2
- Nathan Horton looked very good tonight. He scored an early goal and played physical, dealing out a team-high 4 hits.
- Patrice Bergeron looks like he is picking up where he left off last season.
- Tuukka Rask looked like Tuukka Rask.
- Tyler Seguin recorded an assist and 2 shots on goal in 15:05 of ice time.
- Josh Gorges picked up secondary assists on both Montreal goals.
- The Bruins were out-shot 38-16.
- Dennis Siedenberg logged a game-high 25:13 of ice time.
- The Bruins are in Rochester, NY tomorrow night to take on the Florida Panthers. Most of the players who played tonight will get the night off. The Bruins will probably announce the roster tomorrow morning.