BOSTON - NOVEMBER 26: Zdeno Chara #33 of the Boston Bruins takes the puck from Eric Staal #12 of the Carolina Hurricanes on November 26 2010 at the TD Garden in Boston Massachusetts. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
The Bruins will host the Carolina Hurricanes at TD Garden this afternoon (1:00 PM ET, NESN) before heading down to The Triangle to for the second leg of a home-and-home series with the Hurricanes.
The Bruins are looking to bounce back from a hard-fought 3-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on the Saturday, which halted a 3-game win streak for the B's.
The Hurricanes enter the series with a 22-16-6 record (4th in Southeast). The Canes have been red hot lately, going 7-1-2 over their last 10 contests. Eric Staal is riding an 8 game point streak for the Hurricanes with 10 points (4-6-10) in his last 8 games. Jeff Skinner and Tuomo Ruutu each have 5 game point streaks and have tallied 8 points each in over those 5 games.
The Bruins could get a few injured players back in the lineup today. Milan Lucic (upper body) and Mark Stuart (hand) both participated fully in practice on Sunday. The Bruins activated Stuart off the IR and he will skate during warm-ups and be a game-time decision. Steven Kampfer, who broke his nose in Saturday afternoon's game, will play today with a cage or a full shield. Andrew Ference (upper body) remains doubtful for today's game.
The only notable injury for Carolina is Juri Tlusty, who is questionable with an upper body injury.
- The Carolina Hurricanes scoring as been pretty evenly distributed this year. They have netted 43 goals in the first period, 42 in the second and 43 in the third.
- Marc Savard said that he feels fine after having his "bell rung" by Deryk Engelland's hit on Saturday.
- These two teams have met once this season. The Bruins were shutout 3-0 by Cam Ward (37 saves) and the Hurricanes on November 26th.
- Mark Recchi will play in his 1,616th NHL game today to move into 7th place on the all-time games played list.
- The Hurricanes/Whalers franchise has never swept a season series with the Bruins.
- The Public Skate open thread gets started at 12:30 PM ET.
- For more on the Bruins' home-and-home with the Hurricanes, check out Canes Country