The Bruins picked up their first win of the 2011-2012 season last night with a 4-1 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning at TD Garden. Rich Peverley scored twice while Brad Marchand and Tyler Seguin each had two assists.
Marchand and Seguin have been great so far. Marchand is bringing the same energy, maybe even more, that he brought last year. His line with Patrice Bergeron and new linemate Peverley has clicked through two games. Seguin looks like a much more confident player this year. It's looking like a breakout year for him. The question is, just how high is his ceiling?
- Benoit Pouliot is still struggling with the transition to Boston. The whole "you can get touched without falling down like you've been shot" thing is a little new. He looked good last night in his first game, though. [Globe]
- Daniel Paille scored his first of the season last night, and appears to have a hold on a fourth-line job. [Globe]
- I believe Dave posted this in the comments of the last link post, but I think it deserves more attention. [Puck Daddy]
- The Baby B's dropped their opener Friday night 4-1 to the St. John's IceCaps. [Projo]
- Pierre McGuire sees 25-30 goals for Seguin this year. That's looking pretty good right now. [Projo]
- Peverley is fitting in well on the second line. [WEEI]
- Not strictly Bruins news, but 98.5 The Sports Hub hammered WEEI in the ratings again, and that's during Sox season. Very impressive. [Boston.com]
- Brilliant ad campaign for the 'Yotes. Might as well be honest about their situation, right? [Puck Daddy]
- Thursday's Bruins/Flyers opener got Versus 874,000 viewers, their best regular season numbers ever. The Penguins/Canucks game after was a bit of a letdown with only 342,000 viewers. [Puck the Media]
- Surprise, surprise, Matt Cooke is involved in another questionable hit debate. But this time, he's on the receiving end. Looks like a clean hit from Calgary's Cory Sarich, and I'm not just saying that. [Puck Daddy]
- Don Cherry referred to Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan, and Jim Thomson as "pukes" on the first "Coach's Corner" of the year. All three have suggested that fighting in hockey should either be banned or reduced. Needless to say when Cherry is involved, there's a little controversy. [CBC]
- The Leafs are now 2-0 after a 6-5 win at home over Ottawa last night. I could see them making the playoffs this year. [TSN]
- Michal Neuvirth got the call in net for the Caps last night in their 4-3 OT win over Carolina. Newly acquired Tomas Vokoun, considered a free agent steal, didn't sound too happy. He'll start Monday against the Lightning, so maybe they just wanted him to be fresh for a bigger game. [CSN Washington]