The Bruins were able hang on to down the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 on Tuesday night at the RBC Center in Raleigh, NC to improve to 29-15-7 on the season,
After a scoreless first period, the Bruins drew first blood 4:13 into the second period on Daniel Paille's first goal of the season. Paille parked himself in front of Carolina netminder Cam Ward and batted a Zdeno Chara shot through the pads of Ward for the 1-0 Boston edge.
Carolina tied it up at 1-1 at 11:23 of the second period on a goal from Jamie "Rainier Wolfcastle" McBain. Sergei Samsonov broke into the attacking zone on the left wing, cut to the slot, and got off a weak wrister that appeared to have deflected off of a Boston stick before it was tipped in by McBain near the crease.
Nathan Horton pulled the Bruins ahead 2-1 3:54 into the third period on a give-and-go play with David Krejci. Horton battled for the puck with Tim Gleason in the left wing corner, moved the puck to Krejci behind the net, and Horton drove to the net. The Krejci 's return pass was hammered home with a one-timer for Horton's first goal in 11 games.
The Bruins struck again just 1:12 later when Patrice Bergeron's slapper from the top of the right circle found the back of the net for his 17th marker of the season.
Carolina got back to within one with 11:55 left to play in the third period with a power play goal from Joe Corvo. Corvo's slapper from the high slot found it's way through traffic in front and past a screened Tim Thomas to make it 3-2. Brad Marchand had to do the skate of shame from the box to the bench after his holding minor led to the Canes' power play strike.
Tim Thomas was able to turn aside a barrage of quality scoring chances by the Canes late in the game to secure the 3-2 win for the Bruins.
- Mark Recchi celebrated his 43rd birthday tonight. The Hurricanes, who Recchi won a Stanley Cup in 2006 with, honored Recchi with a presentation on the jumbotron during a TV timeout.
- The Bruins held a dominate 37-25 edge in face-offs tonight. David Krejci (35%) was the only Bruin to finish with a win percentage of less than 50%.
- It is nice to see Nathan Horton and Daniel Paille contribute offensively.
- Tim Thomas made 25 saves, including some huge stop late in the game to preserve the win.
- Zdeno Chara led all skaters with 8 shots on goal.
- Dennis "Dikembe" Siedenberg had a game-high 5 blocked shots.
- The Bruins won the season series with the Hurricanes 3-1.
- Carolina defenseman Joni Pitkanen logged a game-high 27:38 TOI.
- Marc Savard is scheduled to be evaluated again by doctors on Wednesday. The Bruins are expected to make a decision regarding whether or not to rule Savard out for the remainder of the season following the appointment.
- The Bruins will try to win a race against the second leg of the snow storm to get back to Boston, where they will take on the Dallas Stars on Thursday night.
- For more on tonight's game from Raleigh, head over to Canes Country