The Bruins and Detroit Red Wings will meet twice this season and both of those meetings will happen this weekend. First, the B's will host the Wings in a rare Friday night game at TD Garden before heading to The Motor City for a 12:30 PM Sunday afternoon clash on NBC.
Unless you are living under a rock, you know that the Bruins are coming off of a crazy fight-filled 8-6 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night. Meanwhile, the Red Wings are looking to bounce back from a 4-1 loss to the Nashville Predators on Wednesday night, the team's third loss in four games.
The Red Wings find themselves in second place in the very strong Western Conference and first in the Central with a record of 32-16-6.
Red Wings Leading Goal Scorer
Red Wings Goaltending
Detroit Red Wings Injuries
- The Red Wings will honor injured goalie Chris Osgood before Sunday's game. Osgood recently became the 10th goaltender in NHL history to record 400 career wins.
- The game was originally scheduled for 5:00 PM ET, but NBC decided to air the game nationally on their game of the week broadcast, which moved the puck drop to 12:30 PM ET.
- Speaking of puck drop, boxing legend Mickey Ward will be dropping the ceremonial puck before Friday's game at TD Garden.
- ...and speaking of fighting. Don't expect to see the fisticuffs-filled fiasco you saw on Thursday night against the Habs. The Red Wings have dropped the gloves just 8 times this season. These are not Probert's Red Wings, folks. One of the Bruins media contingent needs to ask one of the Red Wings equipment guys if their jerseys come equipped with a fight strap and mitten tethers.
- Rene Rancourt is scheduled to sing the Anthem on Friday, which means that Rancourt and Mickey Ward will be on the ice at the same time. Mythical bonus points to anyone who can tell me what Rancourt and Ward have in common.
- The Bruins are 3-5-2 vs. the Western Conference this season.
- The B's are just 2 for their last 22 on the power play.
- The Public Skate open threads will start 30 minutes before puck drop.
- For more on this weekend's series with the Detroit Red Wings, check out Winging It In Motown