The Bruins edged the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1 in Philly on Sunday night to punch their ticket to the playoffs.
Kris Versteeg gave the Flyers an early 1-0 lead 4:45 into the game. Mike Richards faked a slapper from the slot and alertly slid the puck to Versteeg at the left post. Versteeg had a lot of net to shoot at and easily glided the puck into the net for his 20th tally of the season. James van Riemsdyk also picked up an assist on the game's first goal.
Nathan Horton knotted the game up at 1-1 4 seconds into a power play after a knee on knee hit by Blair Betts on Chris Kelly sent the B's on 2-minute power play. Off of an offensive zone face-off at the right dot, David Krejci won the puck cleanly back to Kaberle at the right point. Kaberle's shot was stopped by Brian Boucher, but the rebound found its way to Horton's stick at the top of the crease for Horton's 23rd marker of the season at 7:40 of the second period.
Brad Marchand made it 2-1 with 3:43 left in the third period as Mike Richards looked on from the penalty box after high-sticking Tomas Kaberle to set up the power play for the Bruins. The rebound from Dennis Seidenberg's shot from the right point found Marchand at the top of crease in similar fashion to Horton's goal. The goal was Marchand's 20th of the season. Mark Recchi picked up a secondary assist on the play, which officially moved him into a 12th place tie with Paul Coffey on the all-time points list with 1,531 career NHL points.
- NESN using clips from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" during the opening segment was awesome. Great show.
- The Bull Gang (or whatever they call it there) at Wells Fargo Center had to switch from hardwood to ice in a short amount of time due to an afternoon 76ers game that went into overtime.
- Jack Edwards mistakenly referred to hip-hop artist Lil' Wayne as "Unlce Harry". I love how delightfully out of touch Jack Edwards is.
- Tim Thomas was spectacular tonight. The B's netminder turned aside 27 shots tonight.
- The Bruins have made the playoff 4 consecutive seasons and 7 out the last 9 seasons.
- It was nice to see the B's score 2 goals on the power play tonight. The B's went 2 for 3 on the power play tonight by keeping it simple. The Flyers passive PK was giving them a lot of space on the points, so they took point shots and had the forwards crash the net.
- How weaselly is Mike Richards? This guy carries himself on the ice like he should have a CH instead of a flying P on his chest.
- Shawn Thornton led all Bruins with 5 shots on goal with the least ice time (10:57).
- The B's out-shot the Flyers 36-28.
- The Bruins closed out the season series with the Flyers with a 3-0-1 record.
- The B's are back in action on Tuesday night when the host the Chicago Blackhawaks in an Original 6 showdown.
- For more on tonight's game, check out Broad Street Hockey