NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 17: Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers reacts after giving up a goal to Tyler Seguin #19 of the Boston Bruins during their game on November 17 2010 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
The Bruins return to the ice tonight to face the New York Rangers after locking up the Northeast Division title with a 3-2 win over the Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday afternoon. While, the B's already have one of the top three playoffs spots in the Eastern Conference pinned down, the Rangers are trying to hang on to the eighth position in the East. The Rangers are two points up on the Carolina Hurricanes with three games left on the regular season schedule.
- Claude Julien gave his team a break from the usual practice session on Sunday. The team participated in a scrimmage that included 5 on 5, 4 on 4, and 3 on 3 play.
- Shawn Thornton (forehead wound) is traveling with the team and participated in practice on Sunday wearing a shield, but remains doubtful for tonight's game.
- The Rangers will be wearing their Heritage Jerseys tonight.
- The Bruins are 1-2-0 versus the Rangers this year. Neither team has scored more than 3 goals in those games.
- 14 of the last 16 games between the Bruins and Rangers have been decided by one goal.
- Former BU Terrier Chris Drury is on the shelf with a knee injury.
- Shawn Thornton has been nominated for the Masterton Trophy by the Boston chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.
- The Rangers are 28-0-0 when leading after 2 periods this season.
- Brad Marchand is riding a 4-game point streak (2-3-5 in his last 4 games).
- Tonight's game starts at 7:30 PM ET and airs on Versus and 98.5 FM The Sports Hub.
- It is probably a safe bet to assume that Henrik Lundqvist will get the start in goal for the Rangers. He has started 23 straight games for the Blueshirts, due in part to Martin Biron's collar bone injury. Lundqvist has been red hot lately, posting a 9-3-1 record with a 1.97 GAA and a .935 save percentage in his last 13 games.
- The Bruins held an optional skate this morning. According to NESN's Naoko Funayama, Shawn Thornton, Steven Kampfer, Shane Hnidy, Michael Ryder, and Tuukka Rask were the only players on the ice this morning.
- Steve Kampfer and Shane Hnidy will be scratched from tonight's game.
- For more on tonight's tilt with the Rangers, head over to Blueshirt Banter