I've never gone golfing. True story.
Marc Savard though, he's a different story. He loves golfing, this is well-documented. I'm pretty sure somewhere he said it was his favorite off-ice hobby. So of course he brought the Cup to the place he calls home - Peterborough's golf course. Duh.
No idea where the Cup is off to next (eta: It is Chris Kelly's Cup Day today) but it'll be in Quebec City on August 7th and I'm sure there will be pit stops in between. For now, let's check some links.
- Marc Savard's day with the Cup is pretty well-documented by this point. Reading about his struggles to even play golf without issues - seven months after his most recent concussion - doesn't make his chances of a return to the ice look too stellar. [Examiner]
- NHL.com's Corey Masisak's 30 teams in 30 days feature takes a look at the Bruins and their chances of a repeat Cup run...which look surprisingly good. [NHL.com]
- Brad Marchand rides as the marshal of Halifax's Natal Day Parade. [Chronicle Herald]
- You can get some sweet back-to-school Bruins stuff on the NHL store's site now. Every kid deserves a Bruins backpack, obviously. If I were still in college I would rock that like it's no one's business. [NHL shop]
- Probably the biggest story of the day is the fact that the Islanders' "Vote Yes on 1!" campaign was an utter failure. No guarantee that the team will move, but the days ahead look to be a struggle for the league's lowest-drawing team. [Bloomberg]
- Five guys will be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of fame this year, including Medford's own Keith Tkachuk. [Times]
- The Devils, in an effort to save money, have waived Colin White and Trent Hunter. [NorthJersey.com]
- Evgeni Nabokov plans to report to Islanders camp next month. [CBS Sports]
- Versus is officially changing its name to the NBC Sports Network. [Adage]
- In light of the NFL's adopted position on headshots, is it time for the NHL to adopt a similar policy? [Globe and Mail]
- Two articles examining two sides of the same issue: First, USCHO talks about college hockey's embarrassing loss of commits in recent weeks, calling it a "cringe-worthy time" for the NCAA. [USCHO]
- ...while Buzzing the Net's Neate Sager attempts to defend some of these "late jumpers" to the CHL. [Yahoo]
Non hockey link of the day:
Metal Head baby. Just watch. [youtube]