This is Brian Ferlin. This is Brian Ferlin scoring on your goalies. Thank you and goodnight.
No links on this one as it was just announced on Toucher and Rich, but NESN's Kathryn Tappen just made it official - she's off to the NHL Network to work as an analyst. Her work on the desk, often ridiculing Mike Milbury and Gord Kluzak while still managing to look awesome and be straight-up knowledgeable, is an inspiration to aspiring women in broadcasting.
Stay classy, Kathryn, and good luck with NHLN.
Elsewhere, it's USA evaluation camp for World Juniors this week, and Brian Ferlin lit it up against Finland yesterday with a goal and an assist. Like a boss.
After the jump, lots of randomness from around the league including a nice lesson in psychology from a Leafs fan. Yeah, you hear that right.
- Shawn Thornton hosted his second annual "Putts and Punches for Parkinsons" golf tournament yesterday. [Salem News]
- The USA kids aren't the only ones getting in a little WJC evaluation time this week: Dougie Hamilton and his brother Freddie (a Sharks prospect) are looking to find their way onto the Team Canada roster. [Sportsnet]
- Joe Yerdon's "Best and Worst Hockey Sweaters of all-time" series kicks off with our Bruins. Bet you can guess what the "worst" jersey is. [PHT]
- Alexei Kovalev is leaving the NHL. Don't let the door hit you, etc etc whatever. [ESPN]
- The Blue Jackets might look to casino tax revenues to help them stay afloat. [Dispatch]
- How teams in the East who missed the playoffs can get the 2011-2012 season off to a good start. [NHL]
- I'm not really sure construction is a thing to celebrate, but apparently at Madison Square Garden they think it is. Some cool views of what's going on in the renovations there. [MSG]
- Better Know a Bias: this Leafs blog takes a look at how cognitive dissonance affects why/how we argue about sports. [TheLeafsNation]
- Daniel Carcillo has his first press conference as a Blackhawk, trash-talks the Canucks, and millions of Eastern Conference fans jump for joy that he doesn't go here anymore. (Sorry, Western Conference.) [Sun Times]
- Mike Comrie is taking a break from hockey. The good news: he's still engaged to Hilary Duff, so really, does it matter?. [USA Today]
Non Hockey Link of the Day:
- Okay, we all hate ads. But sometimes print ads hit it out of the park. Here's a few examples of some stunningly well-done ads. [Noupe]