Bruins vs. Sens tonight. Wooo.
Someone asked yesterday on twitter: Are there really this many more illegal hits this preseason - or are we just more aware of them now? Personally I think it's the former, for whatever reason. Another theory thrown out there is that a lot of guys are looking to make big hits to impress their team - AHL guys and those who might need to make the big hit to stick with the team. But then you realize that it's guys like James Wisniewski getting suspended. Soooo....maybe that theory has a few holes.
After the jump, Bruins news, some other stuff, and the most recent dirty head-hit....which looks scarily like another one we've seen within the last two years.
- The Bruins play their second-to-last preseason game tonight against the Ottawa Senators at the TD Garden. This one's worth a look, if only because some of the final cuts might hinge on tonight's game. [Patriot-Ledger]
- Here's an article on Bruins prospect Craig Cunningham from his hometown in BC. This kid has been through quite a lot. [BC Local]
- Dougie Hamilton doesn't need to reinvent himself as a player, he just needs to build on his already-solid foundation in his third OHL season. [Niagara Falls Review]
- The Bruins released this sweet commemorative championship book today. You can preorder it and preview a PDF of chapter 8, it's definitely awesome. [Bruins]
- Anderson Cooper talks about Brad Marchand's bad tattoo and it is sort of epic. [The Gloss]
- Zach Hamill checks in from the first day of P-Bruins training camp. [Projo]
- Speaking of P-Bruins training camp, here is the roster and a bit about the invitees - which include a goaltender from Plymouth, ENGLAND. [Somethings Bruin]
- Kirill Kabanov may have garnered a bit of a wild child reputation in Moncton, but this Isles prospect is finding his stride now - and loves interacting with fans. The other day, he accepted an invite on Facebook to go play ball hockey. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Brendan Smith's hit on Ben Smith features an elbow to the head and looks a lot like Matt Cooke's hit on Marc Savard. Over/under for amount of games Smith will be Shanabanned for officially set at 10. [SBNation Detroit]
- Coach Mike Babcock makes himself look a fool with his comments on the hit. [PHT]
- Here's an interesting thing - a chart of ECHL teams and where they've existed over the history of the league. [Swamphockey]
- There is a guy that is trying to play hockey in every state and province in 6 months. Awesome. [Puck Daddy]
- The Panthers could get their own rookie phenom this year - Jonathan Huberdeau stands to gain from a Mike Santorelli shoulder injury. Could we see the Sea Dogs' star in the NHL this year? [Sun-Sentinel]
- Here's an interesting look back at NHL uniforms from 15 years ago. [Houses of the Hockey]
Non Hockey Link of the Day:
There are some really bad seats in stadiums around the world. Here are some photos from said obstructed views. You WILL recognize at least one of them. [Nurgalerien]