RALEIGH, NC - JANUARY 14: Milan Lucic #17 and Tyler Seguin #19 of the Boston Bruins squeeze out Justin Faulk #28 of the Carolina Hurricanes as they control a puck behind the net during play at the RBC Center on January 14, 2012 in Raleigh, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
The Bruins have been the best third-period team in hockey this season, but they certainly didn't look like it last night in Carolina. The Bruins gave up 3 goals to the Canes in the final 6:02 of the third period, turning a 2-1 lead into a 4-2 loss.
That makes three losses for the Bs in three games this season against Carolina. Two of those losses came early in the season, but it's still strange that one of the top teams in the NHL has had such a tough time with one of the worst. The difference between the teams' goal differentials is 99, but that hasn't mattered on the ice. The Canes come to Boston on February 2, so the Bs have one more chance to avoid getting swept.
After the jump, the Bruins visit the White House, Jack Edwards gets involved in the Vancouver rivalry, and did Sean Avery spit on his AHL coach?
- Andrew Ference is not a big fan of P.K. Subban's style of play. [ESPN]
- The Bruins will visit 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue on January 23rd to visit President Obama. They play the Caps the following night; might Obama finally attend a Caps game? [ESPN]
- No respect, no respect at all for Patrice Bergeron! You're an All-Star in our hearts, Patrice. [WEEI]
- Canes defenseman Tim Gleason will be on the Bruins' radar for the trade deadline. He's in the last year of his contract, has played with Joe Corvo, and is the kind of hard-nosed guy that would fit in on this team. [Globe]
- The Bruins decided not to push the league to review P.K. Subban's hit on David Krejci during Thursday's game. [Globe]
- Jack Edwards joins the Bruins/Canucks rivalry fray. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Mike Cammalleri had an interesting nickname in the Montreal locker room. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Former Bruin Blake Wheeler took a shot to the throat area last night in a game against the Devils. He left the game immediately and did not return but all tests came back negative and he will travel with the team to Ottawa. Feel better, Blake. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- The Sabres got a gift penalty shot last night against the Isles after Mark Streit accidentally banged into the net and knocked it off it's moorings. It was somehow ruled intentional, and fortunately Thomas Vanek hit the post on the shot because that was a terrible call. [Puck Daddy]
- Bob McKenzie says it's going to be a Norris classic between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs in the 2013 Winter Classic. [NHL]
- The Rangers extended their lead over the Bruins to three points with a 3-0 win in Toronto last night. [TSN]
- There's a rumor going around that Sean Avery was scratched from the AHL Connecticut Whale's lineup Friday night because he spit on his coach after learning the team was stalling to move him due to salary cap issues. The Rangers have denied that this happened. [Puck Daddy]