For game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals, I talked to the fine staff over at the Pensblog. If you're unaware, the Pensblog is the godfather of Penguins Blogs. They've been doing it forever, and doing it well. Here's what they have to say about the series so far.
1. Pittsburgh is still the playoff-leading team in Goals/game. They're the only team left that's outside of the top 4 in Goals Against/game.
God what a shame. But really this is not about the Penguins. This is all about the Bruins defense. Never in a million years did we think the Bruins D would be good enough. But their transition game is so good right now,the Penguins haven’t been able to sniff any zone time. Overall just a great game plan by the Bruins. And man, Rask has been something special.
2. There's no way Malkin leaves the Penguins. I mean, you'd have to be crazy to leave the team you won the Conn Smythe with, right? So why are people talking about him leaving instead of, say, Fleury? Bylsma?
People have this thing about Evgeni Malkin where they basically make up this situation where Malkin wants to be paid more then Crosby and the Pens can’t re-sign him.
Two things about that.
1. -- Nowhere will you find Malkin or any of his agents saying this. Seriously you won’t find it.
2. -- We’re more inclined to think Malkin likes playing second fiddle to Crosby.
Malkin doesn't talk to the media much in Pittsburgh so all of sudden that becomes a metric. Honestly, don’t see this happening at all.
3. Ray Shero seemed to go All In for this year, acquiring a bunch of veterans at the deadline. Was it worth it?
Maybe on paper it was worth it? Maybe it was worth it when the Bruins faithful were stunned they didn’t get Iginla.
But who is stunned now?
The fact they couldn't find a place for Jarome Iginla to play is a bit of a joke. No sure if there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and Shero or what. The Brenden Morrow move looks questionable, we liked the Murray move.
Bottom line though, these moves we’re made to bring the Cup to Pittsburgh. That doesn't appear likely to happen, and so no it wasn't worth it.
Thanks again to the Pensblog for answering my questions!