The Bruins will travel to Newark, NJ tonight to take on the New Jersey Devils at the other Prudential Center in a Festivus showdown. The B's are hoping to take home win #25 and extend their win streak to six games. The Devils have also been playing some good hockey lately and will try to keep their own 3 game win streak alive.
Just who are these Devils that you speak of?
New Jersey Devils 19-9-3; 41 pts (3rd in Atlantic, 6th in East)
Leading Goal Scorers
Zach Parise: 18 Goals (18-22-40)
Patrik Elias: 16 Goals (16-21-37)
Scott Clemmensen: 16 GP 11-3-1; 2.30 GAA .921 Sv%
Martin Brodeur (IR): 10 GP 6-2-2; 2.16 GAA .916 Sv% 2 SO
Kevin Weekes: 7 GP 2-4-0; 3.06 GAA .899 Sv%
Guys Who Like to Drop the Gloves
David Clarkson: 8 Fighting Majors
Michael Rupp: 6 Fighting Majors
Sheldon Brookbank: 3 Fighting Majors
Jay Leach: 3 Fighting Majors
'08-'09 Season Series
First of 4 Meetings
LW Marco Sturm: IR (Knee)
C Patrice Bergeron: IR (Concussion)
D Aaron Ward: Out (Ankle)
D Andrew Ference: IR (Broken Tibia)
C Petteri Nokelainen: Out (Arm)
D Bryce Salvador: Questionable (Upper Body)
C John Madden: Questionable (Flu-like Symptoms)
G Martin Brodeur: IR (Torn Tendons in Elbow)
- Former BC netminder and former owner of the easiest job in the NHL, Scott Clemmensen has been called upon to step in for the injured Martin Brodeur and he has stepped up huge for the Devils. Clemmensen will likely get the start between the pipes for the Devils tonight.
- The Devils have developed the tagline "Jersey's Team"...well, you know, if you don't count all the Rangers and Flyers fans. I guess "Kevin Smith, Greg Wyshynski, and a couple of guys from Northern Jersey's Team" didn't have the same ring.
- The B's have averaged 5.80 goals for in their past five games. I expect tonight's game to be a little bit of a more low scoring affair. The Devils are 7th in GAA (2.58).
- The Devils have struggled with special teams play this season. Their power play is ranked #26 (79.5%), while their PK is ranked #20 (17.3%).
- No word on who will get the start for the B's, but I would expect to see Tim Thomas back in goal after 2 straight starts from Manny Fernandez.
- Over the past five games, the B's have had a 47.8% success rate on the power play.
- Phil Kessel's point streak is at 18 games.
- A Bruins win will give Boston their longest win streak of the season.
Today's Obligatory Embarrassing YouTube Fan Video