Drafted: 2002 by Colorado 2nd round (61st overall)
Acquired by the B's: 6/24/08 traded from Colorado to Boston for Matt Hendricks
- Boychuk was leading AHL defensemen in both points and assists when he was called up (4-19-23)
- He has played 4 games in the NHL with Colorado during the '07-'08 season (including 2 as a forward)
- He played 74 games with the Lowell Lock Monsters during the '05-'06 season
- Providence Bruins Player of the Month for October
- Reebok/AHL Player of the Week (October 20th)
- According to the always reliable Wikipedia, "Besides his love of hockey, Boychuk is also a huge heavy metal fan. He has cited that some of his favorite bands include Iron Maiden and Nightwish.
Hockey's Future Talent Analysis: "He plays a hard-nosed physical game and is well known for his devastating open-ice hits. He enjoys mixing it up with opposing players on the boards and after the whistle, and has shown that he is not afraid to drop the mitts. For a defensive defenseman, he does possess decent offensive capabilities. His slapshot is in the mid-90’s and he makes a smart first pass on the breakout. He plays with confidence in himself, but needs to be consistent and play with the same physical edge every night."
For more on Boychuk, check out Dan Hickling's New England Hockey Journal article.