It's Saturday and it's a holiday weekend, so I'm going to mail this preview in with just a few notes and the obligatory embarrassing YouTube video. I hope you don't mind.
The Bruins will try to forget about Thursday night's embarrassing 6-1 loss to the Anaheim Ducks tonight when they host the New York Islanders at TD Garden. Meanwhile, the Islanders will try for their first win of the season after back-to-back overtime losses.
- Islander's first round pick John Tavares has 3 points in 2 games (1-2-3)
- There will be some familiar faces on the Islanders bench tonight. The Islanders are coached by former P-Bruins head coach Scott Gordon with former Bruin Dean Chynoweth as an assistant coach. Former Bruins prospect Nate Thompson will be on the ice for the Isles along with BU alum Freddy Myer and UMass Lowell product Dwayne Roloson.
- I would expect to see Tuukka Rask get the start in one of the games this weekend. Also don't be surprised to see Boychuk on the ice either today on Monday.
- This isn't good news for the B's: the Islanders have not allowed a power play goal thise season (although it is a small sample size).
- If Mark Stuart is in the lineup tonight, it will be his 200th career NHL game
- Fun Fact: Shawn Thornton leads the team in shots (11)
- Have you ever noticed that New York sports fans always refer to their teams' games in the single form? Ex: "I'm going to the Islander game". Well, I guess there really is only one Islander worth paying money to see, so I guess it makes since. It's another one of my sports fan pet peeves, though. It's still not as bad as refer to your favorite team as "we".
- Stanley Cup of Chowder Public Skate open thread starts at 6:30
- For more on the New York Islanders, check out Lighthouse Hockey
Today's Embarrassing Islanders Fan YouTube video: