Through 65 minutes of hockey, neither team could find the back of the net. Despite outshooting the Panthers 40-23 through regulation and overtime, the Bruins fell to Florida in the shootout. Tim Thomas didn't see a lot of rubber tonight, but when he did, he made some big stops. Unfortunately, the B's couldn't seem to crack Tomas Vokoun (40 saves), who kept the Panthers in the game all night long.
Bruins 1st Shooter: Blake Wheeler couldn't the tuck past Vokoun on the post.
Panthers 1st Shooter: Steven Reinprecht's backhander hits post, hits the back of Thomas' leg, comes to rest on the goal line and somehow stays out.
Bruins 2nd Shooter: Patrice Bergeron is denied by Vokoun's kick save.
Panthers 2nd Shooter: Rostislav Olesz fires a shot wide.
Bruins 3rd Shooter: Zdeno Chara is denied on the backhand by Vokoun.
Panthers 3rd Shooter: Stephen Weiss misses wide on the glove side.
Bruins 4th Shooter: Michael Ryder's backhander is gloved down by Vokoun.
Panthers 4th Shooter: Cory Stillman tucks it past Thomas on the backhand for the game-winner. Panthers win 1-0
- The Bruins held the Panthers to just 1 shot in the second period.
- Shawn Thornton knuckled up with Bryan Allen
- The Bruins carried the play for the majority of the game, but couldn't seem to find the back of the net.
- The Bruins need to get their act together on line changes. The Bruins had yet another Too Many Men on the Ice penalty tonight. That is absolutely unacceptable at the NHL level. It is a completely avoidable penalty.
- One bright spot for the B's tonight was the PK, especially killing off that 5-on-3 late in the first period.
- For more on the game from a Florida perspective, check out Litter Box Cats.
- The Bruins will travel to Pittsburgh tomorrow for Saturday's game against the Penguins.