The Bruins will try to build off their 4-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 1 and extend their series lead to 2-0 when they take the ice at the TD Banknorth Garden for Game 2 Sunday night. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes will look to bounce back with a better effort after a lackluster performance in Game 1 and even the series at 1-1 before heading back to Raleigh, NC for Games 3 and 4.
Bruins Projected Lines & D-Pairs
Milan Lucic - Marc Savard - Phil Kessel
Mark Recchi - Patrice Bergeron - Chuck Kobasew
Blake Wheeler - David Krejci - Michael Ryder
P.J. Axelsson - Stephane Yelle - Shawn Thornton
Zdeno Chara - Aaron Ward
Andrew Ference- Dennis Wideman
Mark Stuart - Steve Montador
Claude Julien shuffled the lines during Game 1 and reunited some of the lines that we saw before the playoffs. Julien went with those same lines in practice on Saturday with the exception of Byron Bitz filling in for Phil Kessel on the top line.
HURRICANES Projected Lines & D-Pairs
Tuomo Ruutu - Matt Cullen - Patrick Eaves
Sergei Samsonov - Rod Brind'Amour - Chad LaRose
Ryan Bayda - Jussi Jokinen - Scott Walker
Tim Gleason - Joe Corvo
Joni Pitkanen - Dennis Seidenberg
Niclas Wallin - Anton Babchuk
Paul Maurice also made some adjustments during Game 1. Carolina's lines are based on the lines that Maurice used in the third period.
LW Marco Sturm: Out for Season (knee)
RW Phil Kessel: Probable (elbow)
D Matt Hunwick: Out for Series (Spleen)
No Injuries to Report
- Phil Kessel sat out Saturday's practice with a swollen left elbow. Claude Julien indicated that Kessel will be fine and should be in the lineup on Sunday. The most shocking thing about this was that the Bruins actually provided information about an injury in the playoffs. Anybody who has followed this team closely this year knows that the most information you usually get on an injury is "upper body" or "lower body" which turned into "undisclosed injury" as they got closer to the playoffs.
- No word on whether or not Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake will be in the house.
- Most sportsbooks have the Bruins as -200 moneyline favorites for Game 2.
- The game starts at 7:30 PM ET and will air on Versus with Hurricanes play-by-play man John Forslund and Bruins color commentator Andy Brickley working the game for Versus. This might be why Jack Edwards sounded so bitter talking about Versus during Game 1's telecast. It will be interesting to see how it works out with one broadcaster from each team working the game. This actually seems like a cool concept because you get to hear from an expert on each team who has watched their team play all season...and we get a much needed break from Jack.
- Public Skate (open thread) starts at 6:30. Stop by and talk about the game with other hockey fans.
- If anyone is going to the game, remember to take pictures of anyone wearing Whalers jerseys and send them to email@example.com (I am thinking of bringing back "Whale Watch" for this series).
Eyes on the Storms
Canes Country (SBN): Bubba and Cory do some great work over there. Their daily Hurricanes Newsstand will point you in the right direction for news and stories on this series from both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Canes Now: The News & Observer's Hurricanes blog (think Boston.com's Bruins Blog).
Tracking the Storm: Blog from Carolina Hurricanes official website. Think of it as Carolina's version of Bish's Blog.
Bruins lead 1-0