They say that good goalies can "steal games" during the playoffs. If that is the case there should be a warrant out for Cam Ward's arrest. The Bruins out-shot Carolina 36-25, but Cam Ward held down the fort for the Carolina Hurricanes to earn his second shutout of the '09 playoffs in his team's 3-0 victory over the Bruins.
After a scoreless opening period, Carolina found the back of the net 2:30 into the second period when Joe Corvo's shot from the point beat Tim Thomas with traffic in front.
The Hurricanes increased their lead to two with a shorthanded goal by Matt Cullen at 7:32 of the second period. Chad LaRose picked off a pass in the defensive zone and broke in all alone. LaRose missed the net but stayed with the play and feed a pass out front to Matt Cullen at the left circle.
The Bruins dodged a bullet late in the second period. Chad LaRose picked up a rebound in the slot and clanged a shot off the crossbar that bounced directly down along the goalline. The play was ruled no goal by the on-ice officials but was reviewed by video. The replay looked as though the puck may have crossed the line but there was not conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the ice and the play was ruled no goal after a lengthy review.
Eric Staal iced the game for the Hurricanes with an empty net goal with 28 seconds left in the game to account for the 3-0 final.
The Bruins will travel to Raleigh, NC for Game 3 on Wednesday night at the RBC Center.
- Other than the man advantage created by Tim Gleason's delay of game call, the Bruins looked awful on the power play tonight.
- The Bruins were not able to convert on of some of their better scoring chances including Patrice Bergeron's missed shot on an open net in the first period.
- The Bruins defensemen looked very sloppy with the puck at times tonight.
- I thought that the Chad LaRose's shot at the end of the second period went in. I think the key factor was that it was called no goal on the ice, so conclusive evidence is needed to overturn the call.
- I wish that Game 3 was tomorrow night so the Bruins could put this game behind them as soon as possible.
- That is all I got for you. I don't want to think about this game anymore.