The Bruins fell in the shootout for the fourth time this season as the Atlanta Thrashers skated away with a 3-2 win at Philips Arena on Thursday night.
TheThrashers got on the board early in this one. With Marc Savard in the box for slashing, the Thrashers capitalized with a power play goal from Tobias Enstrom 3:23 into the game. Enstrom's shot from the point zipped through traffic and between the pads of Tim Thomas for his 6th goal of the season.
The Bruins knotted it up at 1-1 at 14:09 of the first period on Patrice Bergeron's 8th goal of the season. Bergeron broke into the zone 2-on-1 with Daniel Paille. Tobias Enstrom took away the passing lane, giving Bergeron a clear route to the net. Bergy shoveled a backhander that beat Ondrej Pavelec through the 5-hole.
Blake Wheeler gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead 55 seconds into the second period. David Krejci's indirect pass from the defensive zone sprung Blake Wheeler on a partial breakaway on the right wing. Wheeler snap shot from the right circle found the back of the net for #26's 9th marker of the season.
Tobias Enstrom's second goal of the game on another point shot pulled the Thrashers even at 2-2 on the power play.
After a spirited overtime session that featured solid scoring chances from both clubs, the game headed to a shootout.
ATL: Tim Stapleton pulls a "Ryder Special" and beats Tim Thomas on the glove side with a snap shot from between the circles. 1-0 ATL
BOS: Tyler Seguin's backhander is kicked out by the right pad of Ondrej Pavelec.
ATL: Bryan Little's forehand shot beats Thomas 5 hole. 2-0 ATL
BOS: Blake Wheeler loses control of the puck and the trickling puck is easily handled by Pavelec to cement the win.
- Lazy Schedule Making: The Bruins and Thrashers met on 12/3 and 12/30 in 2009 and 2010.
- The Bruins out-shot the Thrashers 44-32.
- Not a great night for the guys in stripes. There were a lot of questionable calls on both sides.
- The Bruins didn't convert in 3 power play opportunities tonight, but I thought they moved the puck pretty well. I can see Steven Kampfer developing into a power play quarterback.
- It might not show up on the score sheet, but Michael Ryder played a solid game tonight. He created several solid scoring opportunities and logged the second most ice time out of the Bruins' forwards (20:37). He finished the game +1.
- I love the fire out of Daniel Paille challenging Dustin Bufuglien!
- The Sports Hub's Fred Toucher was in the house tonight visiting his old stomping grounds in Atlanta.
- Tim Thomas has started 7 straight games.
- The Bruins have come away with points in their last 4 games.
- Gregory Campbell missed tonight's game due to illness.
- Tyler Seguin was reduces to fourth line duty tonight centering Daniel Paille and Shawn Thornton. Seguin logged 6:30 in ice time. Shawn Thornton (5:26 TOI) was the only player on either team to log less time than Seguin tonight.
- It is a shame that this game had to go to a shootout. I would like to see the NHL extended OT to 10 minutes, scrap this charity point nonsense, and go back to ties.
- Some goofy romeo in a turtleneck and a Thrasher jersey got married during the first intermission. Keeping with tradition, his bride was walked down the aisle by a dude in a bird costume and a tuxedo. I assume their reception dinner was a buffet of $1 concession items.
- If you haven't already, now is the time to like the Stanley Cup of Chowder Facebook page. We are a few likes away from reaching our goal of 500 likes by the 1st of the year. When we get to 500, we are giving away a $25 Shop.NHL.com giftcard.
- The Bruins return to the ice on New Year's Day at 7:00 PM ET when they travel to Buffalo to take on the Sabres.