Mark Recchi's goal in the 8th round of the shootout gave the Bruins their 4th straight win as the Bruins head into the Olympic break following a 3-2 shootout win over the Florida Panthers. David Krejci and Mark Recchi scored the regulation goals for the Bruins, while Tuukka Rask held down the fort with 26 saves to record his 14th win of the season.
Nick Tarnasky' first goal of the season staked the Panthers to a one goal lead midway through the first period when Victor Oreskovich set up in "Gretzky's Office" and slid the puck to a wide open Tarnasky in the slot.
The Bruins evened it at 15:54 of the first period on a goal from David Krejci. Dennis Wideman carried the puck out of the zone and sent a diagonal pass to the David Krejci on the right wing side of the neutral zone. Krejci skated the puck in deep and fired a tough angle shot from the bottom of the right circle that somehow got past Tomas Vokoun for his 11th goal of the season.
Stephen Weiss re-gained the lead for the Pathers with a power play goal with 1:06 left in the first period when he weaved his way through the Bruins' PK unit, made Zdeno Chara look silly, and tucked the puck past Tuukka Rask for his team-leading 21st goal.
The Bruins took advantage of a questionable tripping call on Stephen Weiss as Mark Recchi tipped home Dennis Wideman's shot with 8:16 left in the third period just as Weiss was leaving the penalty box.
After 65 minutes of hockey and rounds of shootout attempts, Mark Recchi roofed a shot on the glove side to send the Bruins into the break on a 4-game win streak.
- Mark Recchi moved past Alex Delvecchio into 9th place on the NHL's games played list with 1,550 career games. Delvecchio played 24 seasons for the Detroit Red Wings from 1950 to 1974. Recchi is now 62 games behind Ray Bourque, who is 8th on the list.
- Claude Julien moved into 7th place on the Bruins all-time coaching wins list, moving past Brian Sutter with his 121nd win behind the Boston bench.
- Adam McQuaid had a good showing in his bout with Victor Oreskovich.
- Overall this was a pretty sloppy game. Both teams had trouble controlling the puck and making crisp passes. David Krejci mentioned during one of the intermissions that the ice was in bad shape, so that may have had an impact on that.
- Tuukka Rask (14 wins) now has more wins than Tim Thomas (13) in 10 less starts.
- The Bruins outshot the Panthers 39-28.
- The B's are now back in the playoff picture and at the time of publish are in 7th place.
- The Bruins are off until March 2nd when the host the Montreal Canadiens.
- I will be keeping tabs on the 6 Bruins players competing in the Olympics. This break will also give me some time to write some more in-depth stuff that I haven't had time for with all the games packed into the schedule this season.