The Montreal Canadiens jumped out to a 2-0 first period lead en route to a 3-2 win over the Bruins on Saturady night at Bell Centre. Blake Wheeler and Milan Lucic were the goal scorers for the B's.
Andrei Markov gave the Canadiens a 1-0 lead 6:02 into the game with a power play goal with Mark Stuart in the box for holding. Markov's shot from out near the blue line looked like it was deflected by Dennis Seidenberg in front causing the puck to change directions and beat Tuukka Rask over the shoulder.
The Habs made it 2-0 with just under 40 seconds left in the first period after Andrei Markov set up in "Gretzky's Office" and feed a pass out front to Sergei Kostitsyn, who banked a shot off the right skate of Tuukka Rask and in for his 4th goal of the season.
The Bruins got on the board 1:12 into the second period on a goal from Blake Wheeler, who capped off a great breakout play by the Bruins. Micahel Ryder carried the puck in along the left wing boards and threaded a backhand pass to Blake Wheeler driving to the net.
The Habs extended their lead to 3-1 1:42 into the third period when Tuukka Rask couldn't handle the puck behind the goalline giving Sergei Kostitsyn a wide open net to shoot at.
Milan Lucic pulled the B's to within one with 8:14 left in the third period. Lucic had the puck at the right circle and curled back around to the high slot and fired a shot past Jaroslav Halak for his 7th goal of the season.
- The Bruins finished the season series with the Canadiens 1-3-2.
- Milan Lucic started the game wearing a visor, but removed it after the first period. I'm not sure if he took a stick to the face or something recently or was just trying something new.
- Miroslav Satan (groin) did not play. Brad Marchand took his spot in the lineup for the second straight game.
- There were a lot of scrums after the whistle in tonight's game.
- Blake Wheeler recorded an uncharacteristic 6 hits.
- Tuukka Rask made 24 saves.
- The Canadiens honored Patrice Bergeron in a pre-game ceremony for winning the gold medal as a member of the Canadian Olympic hockey team.
- The Bruins will travel to New Jersey to take on the Devils on Monday night.
Quote of the Night:
"It shouldn't take us a period to get going"
- Milan Lucic