The Bruins dropped their first game back from the Olympic break 4-1 to the Montreal Canadiens at TD Graden on Tuesday night. The Bruins held a 1-0 edge into the third period, but the Habs scored four unanswered goals to snap the Bruins four-game winning streak.
Marco Sturm poked home a loose puck in the middle of a scrum in front of Carey Price to put the Bruins up 1-0 with 7:48 left in the first period.
Former Bruin and current Bruin killer Glen Metropolit knotted things up at 1-1 2:40 into the third period when Tom Pyatt's centering pass from the left wing found Metro in the slot, driving to the net.
The Habs pulled ahead 2-1 at 7:24 of the third period on a goal from Maxime Lapierre. Travis Moen beat Andrew Ference in a foot race to a loose puck, put a shot on goal and Lapierre drove to the net and put home the rebound for his 6th goal of the season.
Mathieu Darche made it 3-1 with 2:30 left in game when he found the puck on his stick at the doorstep off of a rebound from Metropolit's shot.
The Habs added an empty-netter with 1:27 remaining in the game as Beniot Pouliot's dump-in from the blue line found it's way into the unattended goal.
- Glen Metropolit (14 goals) has 4 goals in 5 games against the Bruins this year.
- Every Habs goal was the same mistake. The Bruins just gave the Habs the area in front of the net and constantly let the Habs drive to the net.
- Andrew Ference was -3 on the night.
- Marc Savard won just 4 of his 20 face-offs (20%)
- The Bruins still have not won at home since the Winter Classic.
- The B's will host the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday night. Don Cherry will be a part of NESN's broadcast of that game.
- Tomorrow is the NHL Trade Deadline. GMs have until 3:00 PM Eastern Time to complete trades. Stanley Cup of Chowder will have an NHL Trade Deadline Public Skate open thread starting at 9:00 AM Eastern Time. SB Nation's Trade Deadline Hub will have reactions to trades from around the league by all of SB Nation's hockey blogs.
- Who has played their last game in Black & Gold?