The eyes of the nation (or more accurately, the handful of sports fans not watching college hoops) will be on the Bruins as they host the New York Rangers at the TD Garden in NBC's Game of the Week. Only 3 points separate the Rangers from the Bruins in the Eastern Conference standings. The B's are barely holding on to the 8th playoff spot in the East with 74 points, while Atlanta Thrashers (73 points) and Rangers (71 points) are trying to make a push to crack the top 8. The Bruins are coming off arguably their worst effort of the season in a 3-0 home loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night, while the Blueshirts are trying to snap a 2 game skid after losing to Montreal and St. Louis this week.
Boston Bruins Injuries
Out (IR / Out / Suspended / Physically unvailable)
New York Rangers Injuries
- The Bruins will wear their Winter Classic uniforms for the last time this season.
- The flu has made it's way through the Bruins' room. Johnny Boychuk and Marco Sturm practiced yesterday, but Dennis Seidenberg sat out Saturday's skate at Ristuccia. So, if the they stink up the joint today, we know what Claude Julien's excuse will be.
- It will be interesting to see if any fans decide to "Gold Out The Garden". For those that do decide to attend, paper bag headwear might be in fashion on Causeway St. this afternoon.
- The Bruins and Rangers last met on 1/9 when the Rangers beat the B's 3-1
- Jeff Penner and Trent Whitfield were sent back down to Providence.
- Thursday night's game was the highest-rated Bruins regular season game in NESN history....a missed opportunity to win back some fans.
- I didn't hear Cam Neely's interview by The Big Show on WEEI on Friday (mostly because I refuse to listen to those out of touch dinosaurs), but Neely had some pretty interesting things to say. Some things that he discussed were the lack of emotion and veteran leadership on this year's team and how he understands why the fans are so upset.
- The game starts at 12:30 and will air on NBC. The Public Skate open thread gets underway at noon.