The Bruins will be looking to clinch a playoff berth when they take the ice against the Carolina Hurricanes this afternoon at TD Garden. The Bruins can lock up a playoff spot with a win today over the Hurricanes. The Bruins put together a strong team win on Thursday night as they out-dueled the the Buffalo Sabres 3-1 in a very important game for the B's. Meanwhile, the Canes are coming off a 5-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night. Carolina will wrap up their disappointing season today and they would like nothing more than to play the role of spoiler for the Bruins.
Probable: Shawn Thornton (upper body)
Doubtful: Andrew Ference (hernia/groin)
Out: Dennis Seidenberg (lacerated tendon in wrist), Marc Savard (concussion), Mark Stuart (hand)
Carolina Hurricanes Injuries
Out (IR / Out / Suspended / Physically unvailable)
- The Carolina Hurricanes are 35-36-10 on the season.
- The Bruins are 2-1-0 against the Hurricanes this season. The B's have outscored the Canes 13-9 in those three games. The two teams have combined for at least 6 goals in each of their meetings this season.
- Carolina has called up Jerome Samson to replace the injured Rod Brind'Amour. Samson led the Albany River Rats with 78 points (37-41-78) in 74 games this season.
- Eric Staal recorded a hat trick against the Habs on Thursday...and oh yeah, it was free hat night.
- The Bruins could have clinched a playoff spot if the New York Rangers lost to Philadelphia last night, but the Rangers beat Philly 4-3 to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- GM Peter Chiarelli doesn't like the fans booing Wideman, Thomas, and Co.
- Today's game is the final regular season home game for the B's and Fan Appreciation Day. The Bruins will continue their annual "Shirts off their Backs" tradition.
- I am 99.999% sure that Tuukka Rask will get the start today. If not, Claude Julien will immediately be driven out of town by an angry mob.
- For more on today's game, check out Canes Country
- The game starts at 1:00 and can be seen on NESN. The Public Skate open thread gets underway at 12:30.
Today's Obligatory Embarrassing Hurricanes Fan YouTube Video
It's the church of unfunny hacks. I wonder if the Church at the Triangle worships the holy trinity of bad comics: Carrot Top, Bill Engvall, and Kathy Griffin?