The Bruins fell to the Philadelphia Flyers to force Game 7 on Friday night in Boston. When the B's take the ice on Friday night they will try to avoid becoming a footnote in the NHL history books. The Bruins are now on the verge of becoming the third team in league history to lose a 7-game playoff series after leading 3-0.
Mike Richards gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead with 13:02 left in the first period. Richards pounced on a rebound in front after Tuukka Rask made a series of saves and the Bruins failed to clear the puck out of the slot area. The Flyers were able to skate freely throughout the offensive zone on this sequence without anyone in a Spoked-B sweater applying any real pressure. The B's gave the Flyers way too much time and space and they paid for it.
Daniel Briere made it 2-0 at 16:20 of the second period on a 4-on-3 power play. Briere' pass attempt to Mike Richads was batted down by Johnny Boychuk, but the puck ended up back on the stick of Briere in the slot. Briere wheeled through the center of attacking zone to the right circle, where he fired a wrister that beat Rask up high on the glove side.
The Bruins were able to finally get on the scoreboard with 1:00 left in the third period when Milan Lucic hammered home a rebound on the doorstep off a shot by Dennis Wideman.
...Unfortunately, the late push by the Bruins was too late.
- The Bruins had plenty of opportunities to score and controlled the play for long stretches tonight, but they just could not finish. They hit posts, they missed shots, they had shots get blocked, and they put the puck right at Michael Leighton.
- This looked like the regular season Bruins team we all know and loathe.
- That penalty shot call was an absolute horse shit call. Puck don't lie!
- Before Milan Lucic's goal, the Bruins had given up 7 unanswered goals dating back to Mark Recchi's game-tying goal in Game 4.
- Blair Betts left the game with an apparent upper body injury for the Flyers, but is expect to play in Game 7.
- The Flyers blocked 30 shots and the Bruins missed the net with another 18 shots.
- Game 7 is 7:00 on Friday on NESN.
- I have nothing more to say about tonight's game. Let's move on to Game 7. I don't want Simon Gagne to go down in history as the NHL's Dave Roberts.
- Broad Street Hockey has your Philly perspective on tonight's game.