It is so gratifying to see "WON 1" in the "streaks" column on NHL.com for the Bruins. It's less gratifying that our team is still in 29th place. A few more wins should fix that right up, and they're apparently headed in the right direction for that. A good, well-rounded effort last night took care of that. As you will see in today's links, they played like themselves again. Awesome.
In today's links, the battle between the CHL and NCAA rages on, a Maine alum makes his NHL debut, Sean Avery returns, a hockey team that did an exorcism to break a losing streak, and some other stuff that you may or many not enjoy. Read on!
- This great piece reads as a eulogy to Marc Savard's career. It makes a lot of good points, and my favorite is that yeah, it's great that the Bruins have new fans but none of them will really understand what Savard contributed to this team. Make sure you have a tissue handy for this one. [Hockey Journal]
- Hey the Bruins won last night! [Globe]
- And they took "No excuses, play like a champion!" to heart. [Herald]
- It started in the defensive end and finished with....actual finishes, and it looked solid. [Globe]
- A WHL team, the Lethbridge Hurricanes, held an exorcism on halloween after losing 13 games straight. [Yahoo]
- The Capitals won a wild one in OT last night; Dennis Wideman scored a goal, and Alex Ovechkin was benched late in the game. ~dramaaa~! [Times]
- Another thriller was the game between the Minnesota Wild and Detroit Red Wings. Okay to be fair it was a snoozer until the last minute, but that last minute made it totally worth it. [SBN]
- After hitting Gabriel Landeskog in the head, Andy Sutton has been suspended five games. Which means..... a SHANABAN video!! [USA Today]
- Windsor Spitfires goalie Jack Campbell speaks out against the NCAA's new plan to provide athletes with a stipend. And the battle rages on...[Buzzing the Net]
- Gustav Nyquist, Maine's favorite Swede, made his NHL debut with the Red Wings last night. [Mlive]
- Sean Avery is back, y'all! .....because no one wanted him, even at a quarter the price of his actual contract. [NY Daily News]
- The ECHL is expanding in Florida...to Orlando! They had best be naming that team the Solar Bears again. [News-Press]