The Bruins will be in search of their 8th straight win when they take the ice tonight at TD Garden to face the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The B's are coming off of a 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday, while the still Crosby/Malkin-less Penguins have lost their last two games including a 2-1 overtime loss to the New Jersey Devils last night. The reeling Pens have given up points in each of their last 13 contests and have not won in regulation since February 4th when they beat the Buffalo Sabres 3-2 on home ice.
The Penguins are currently dealing with several injuries to key players including Sidney Crosby (concussion), Evgeni Malkin (knee), and Brooks Orpik (broken finger). The B's will also be without some their core contributors today. Leading point-getter Patrice Bergeron has been excused for today's game to deal with a personal issue. Meanwhile, defenseman Steven Kampfer is out with what is being described as a mild concussion. Due to the injury to Kampfer, the Bruins have called up Pittsburgh native Matt Bartkowski to fill in on the blue line.
Out: Patrice Bergeron (personal issue), Steven Kampfer (concussion), Shane Hnidy (shoulder), Andrew Ference (lower body), Marc Savard (concussion).
Pittsburgh Penguins Injuries
|Player||Injury Type||Injury Date|
Out (IR / Out / Suspended / Physically unvailable)
|Player||Injury Type||Injury Date|
In addition, Eric Goodard is still suspended for leaving the bench during an altercation in a game against the New York Islanders.
- The Bruins and Penguins have met twice this season. Boston leads the season series 2-1.
- Chris Kunitz could return to the lineup for the Penguins tonight. He has 2 goals in 3 games against the B's this season.
- Marc-Andre Fleury AKA Denis Lemieux is expected to get the start between the pipes for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- The Bruins only held an optional skate this morning, so there is no word on who will get the nod in goal for the (real) Black & Gold tonight.
- Rene Rancourt will be belting out the anthem beofre tonight's game.
- Veteran referee crew Paul Devorski and Kelly Sutherland will be working with linesmen Derek Amell and Jean Morin tonight. According to Covers.com, Sutherland is the league's biggest "homer" ref with an average home goal margin of 0.76 in games he has officiated this season. Paul Devorski has the second highest home goal margin among the referees that work a full-time NHL schedule with 0.64.
- Nathan Horton has a 4-game point streak.
- Pittsburgh is 2-4-4 in their last 10 games.
- Pittsburgh is the most penalized team in the league (18.2 PIMs per game).
- Dennis Seidenberg has 5 points (1-4-5) and is +5 in 3 games against the Penguins this year.
- This will be Claude Julien's 311th regular season game behind the Bruins' bench, this will move him into 6th place all-time for regular season games coached by a B's bench boss.
- Mark Recchi will slide into sixth place on the NHL's all-time games played list when he takes the ice for the 1,636th time tonight.
- The Penguins are 6-1-1 when playing on back-to-back days this season.
- Just when you think the Pittsburgh Penguins couldn't get anymore loathsome, Mario Lemiux has to open his mouth.
- The game will air on NESN and 98.5 FM The Sports Hub at 7:00 PM ET.
- Public Skate open thread gets started right here at 6:30 PM ET.
- For more on the Pens and tonight's game, check out PensBurgh
"F@#% this Shitsburgh team!"
- Alex Ovechkin on HBO's 24/7