When the Bruins take the ice at TD Garden this afternoon against the Atlanta Thrashers, they will have one goal in mind: clinch the top spot in Northeast Division. The B's will need just 1 point today to achieve that goal. At the other end of the ice (and the spectrum), Craig Ramsey's team has a 1.1% chance of making the playoffs and needs to go 5-0-0 in their remaining contests to have a snowball's chance in hell of seeing the postseason this year.
- This will be the first time that the Bruins will see the Thrashers since sending Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart to the ATL.
- Shane Hnidy (shoulder) has been medically cleared to play and is expected to be in the lineup today for the first time since being signed as a free agent. The only question is "why?".
- Shawn Thornton remains out while his 40-stitch wound on his forehead heals.
- Zdeno Chara was given the day off from practice on Friday, but is expected to play today.
- The Bruins will announce their 7th Player Award winner before today's game. My money is on Brad Marchand.
- Tuukka Rask's "favorite" referee Frederick L'Ecuyer is working tonight's game.
- Former Bruin Anson Carter is reportedly part of an ownership group looking to purchase the Atlanta Thrashers. Anson, you would be better off wiping your ass with that money and setting it ablaze. You would get a better return on your investment.
- Former BU blue liner Freddy Myer is out for the remainder of this season with a concussion after collapsing on the ice during a game on February 3rd.
- The Bruins are 1-1-1 against the Thrashers this year.
- Most books have the Bruins as -230 favorites today.
- Craig Ramsey has said that he is going to rotate goalies from here on out. Chris Mason got the start against Philadelphia on Thursday, so expect Ondrej Pavelec to get the nod in net today.
- You may remember that the B's and Thrashers had a Festivus Fight Fest earlier this year:
- If what to read the Thrashers SB Nation site, find it on your own. I refuse to link to a site run by that self-important blowhard.