Both my teams lost last night. The Bruins lost in their first preseason game and the Plymouth Whalers lost in their season opener.
But moving on to more important things like Bruins pillow pets.....I mean the Bruins Stanley Cup rings, they picked who is going to make them! The Bruins can flash them at Ryan Reynolds the next time he tries to buy them shots.
After the jump, Mike Modano uses Facebook to retire, Jaromir Jagr is not going to grow back his old school flow and the Islanders have the first Swiss born NHL captain in history.
- Can't avoid the elephant in the room. The Bruins lost last night in preseason. Andddd moving on....[Boston Herald]
- The best thing you will ever spend money on is likely a Bruins Pillow Pet. The price is a little steep but I think I want to replace all of the pillows on my bed with this. [Shop.NHL.com]
- Your school ring just got a lot cooler because the Bruins have picked Jostens to design and produce their championship rings. I can't wait to see that bling. [Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal]
- We will all miss Kathryn Tappen (love how she spells it) but NESN has found a replacement in Dale Arnold. Additionally, Naoko Funayama is sticking around for another season. [NESN]
- If Ryan Reynolds is a Canucks fan and offers you a tequila shot, what do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO? The Bruins do not accept. [Inside Track]
- Patrice Bergeron is still being careful to avoid another concussion and he recounts how some normal things are huge steps in recovery. [Globe and Mail]
- Jeremy Jacobs is rich. Not as rich as the owner of the Anaheim Ducks but still VERY rich. [Forbes]
Other Hockey News:
- Another legend retires. Best of luck Mike Modano. [USA Today]
- Mark Streit is the new New York Islanders captain. Hooray for him! [TSN]
- This Jagr article covers so many bases and I love it. [Toronto Star]
- There has been a lot written about NHL enforcers recently but this write up of a life as a "goon" by Brent Severyn. You ever wanna know how it feels to watch a guy you knock to the ice getting taken off? It's fascinating. [Sports Illustrated]
- My friend Laura, a Habs fan, called last season "the year of the stanchion" and it has stuck with me ever since. But that stanchion in the Bell Centre has been changed. [Montreal Gazette]
- Preseason hockey is weird stuff. There is a bunch of factors that fans might not realize. [Loose Pucks]
Non Hockey Link of the Day
- If you didn't know that the American Miniature Horse Association World Championship begins this week, I don't think we can be friends anymore. [Horse Channel]