Welcome back to work, y'all. Pretty nice to get to start the year on a four-day week. The Bruins have a bit of a jam-packed month coming up with some tough matchups before the All-Star Break, including three back-to-back sets of games. Those start with the Devils tomorrow night and the Flames on Thursday. Coming off that loss to the Stars and what sounded like a spirited, ridiculous practice yesterday, the Bruins should be on track to keep on winning this month.
The Winter Classic was...interesting. Did anyone watch it all the way through? I was talking with a Blackhawks fan who admitted that he'd never made it all the way through a Winter Classic, he was usually sleeping off a hangover or just napping while the game was on. The only one I've watched all the way through was Boston/Philly.
After the jump, Raffi Torres and Daniel Carcillo are idiots, Mike Rupp is an unlikely hero, surprise! the Leafs' PK is awful, and the Bruins do another holiday hospital visit...
- Tuukka Rask's antics at practice are becoming legen-waitforit-dary. [NESN]
- Alexander Khokhlachev and Dougie Hamilton will face off tonight as Russia takes on Canada in the WJC. [Windsor Star]
- Should Claude have pulled Tim Thomas against Dallas? [Mass Live]
- The fourth line is a pretty good gauge of how well the Bruins perform these days. [Globe]
- The Bruins lead the power rankings again, and here's a little comparison of Chicago and Boston. [ESPN]
- The Bruins still have fond memories of the 2010 Classic. [NESN]
- Johnny Boychuk, Zach Hamill, and Benoit Pouliot visited the Melrose-Wakefield hospital this weekend. [Wicked Local]
- Raffi Torres is a jackwagon, and Andrew Ference has some words to say about him. [Herald]
- Tim Thomas wants to be better in 2012 than he was in 2011. [Herald]
- Nice little piece here -- assessing the Stars' loss in the bigger picture of the Bruins' season. [The Hockey Writers]
- LOL, the Maple Leafs' PK is killing at a rate under 70%. That is not good. [TSN]
- Daniel Carcillo injured himself while cheapshotting Tom Gilbert last night, and the Oilers grabbed two goals on the ensuing five minute major. Failcillo. [Edmonton Journal]
- Stevie Y is not used to losing. [Sun]
- Brayden Schenn scored his first NHL goal during the Winter Classic! [Philly Sports Daily]
- But Mike Rupp scored twice on the way to a Rangers win. [Puck Daddy]
- Danny Briere had a chance to tie it on a penalty shot with less than a minute to go! But Lundqvist said no. [Philly Burbs]
- Down Goes Brown is at it again -- an inside look at Gary Bettman's New Years Eve party. [DGB]