The past four years the Bruins have made the playoffs. They've played Montreal three times, Carolina, Buffalo, Philly, Tampa, and Vancouver during that stretch. But until now they have not had to face either Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin in a playoff series, as they haven't seen the Pens or Caps in the postseason.
But with the Caps ending up as the 7 seed after last night, due to a loss by the Senators and a win from the Panthers, the Bruins will face Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals in the first round. They're 1-3 against the Caps this year, and I have to admit that I don't like this matchup. I felt about Ottawa.
After the jump, playoff talk.
- But first, a small note. Brian Elliott of the Blues broke Tim Thomas' single-season save-percentage record this season while playing the minority of games for his team. Is this weak? Yes, it is. [WEEI]
- Whatever the matchup (and this was written before they knew they'd face the Caps), the Bruins know that it really depends on them. I think they can beat anyone when they're on, and they know it. [WEEI]
- And with that said, it just so happens they're playing damn good hockey heading into the postseason. [CSNNE]
- A big part of that is Tim Thomas' recent return to dominance. [CSNNE]
- Claude Julien is unsure on Tuukka Rask's status heading into the playoffs. Hopefully he makes it back for the first round but having Khudobin as the backup for a series isn't too big a deal. [ESPN]
- The Bruins are ready to defend their title, and it sounds like they've been anxious for a while to get back into the playoffs. [ESPN]
- The Canucks succesfully defended their Presidents' Trophy crown. Good for them. That'll really help them in the playoffs. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Puck Daddy's Western Conference quick preview: that Nashville/Detroit series is going to be nice. [Puck Daddy]
- The Eastern Conference preview: The Flyers/Penguins series will be not so nice. At all. [Puck Daddy]
- The playoff schedule will be released today at 1 PM. Everyone seems to know already that the Bruins will open on Thursday. [NHL]
- Decent stop from Devan Dubnyk, eh? [NHL]
The playoff seeds:
- (1) Rangers vs. (8 Senators
- (2) Bruins vs. (7) Capitals
- (3) Panthers vs. (6) Devils
- (4) Penguins vs. (5) Flyers