The Bruins took on the second-best team in the East tonight, never trailed in the whole game despite being badly outplayed, and somehow pulled off a thriller in OT! The Garden is being treated to some absolutely fantastic hockey as of late, even if it does take years off your life.
Tuukka Rask was unreal in net again, making a few mindblowing saves that the Penguins should be seeing in their nightmares for a few weeks. Carl Soderberg continued his newfound dominance of the north american ice, with his third multi-point game of the season, good for six points in his last five games. Loui Eriksson, not content to let Soderberg get all the Swedish glory, had his fourth goal of the season, as well as two assists - including one on the OT winner.
Which leads us to the drama: yes, Sidney Crosby scored with 00.3 seconds left in the game, whatever, but that just set up Torey Krug for his epically dramatic OT GWG - just 34 seconds into overtime.
The Scandinavians may have dominated in regulation for the Bruins, but that game winner was 100% pure AMERICA.
- Eriksson with a three point night, Reilly Smith with yet another goal....something something Seguin trade.....never mind let's not go there
- Tuukka Rask is the best goaltender in the world and I fear for America in the Olympics.
- The only rookie with more points than Torey Krug right now is Tomas Hertl. He is tied for Erik Karlsson for goals by a defenseman. Yes, you may argue that he's being deployed in ways that favor him scoring, yada yada, but he's also playing a lot less per game than Karlsson or most of the other league leaders in points - all 10 defensemen ahead of him in points play at least 23 minutes a night with the exception of Kevin Shattenkirk, who is only beating Krug by one point. #calderhype
- Any game with a power play goal is a good one, and this one came from Reilly Smith.
- Kevan Miller's still looking pretty ok. Good work on the PK again.
- I have literally zero idea what Chris Kelly was doing on that Sidney Crosby goal. I am 99% sure he doesn't either. How do you awareness. What is a hockey.
- Johnny Boychuk took a stick in the throat in the third period, but came back fine shortly after. Still: ouch.
- Every player on the ice tonight who previously played for the Dallas Stars had at least one point (Neal, Jokinen, Niskanen, Smith, Eriksson).
Are you ready for all the GIFs I hope you are!
Finish the sentence: this Loui goal had me like....
My favorite part of this gif is Smith's face
Bartkowski does a thing, Rask looks like Thomas, what is the new normal for 800 please alex
Crosby gets his first of the night (for the Bruins)
Something something HERE IS KRUG
Gif of the night:
Tweet of the night: