The Bruins came out with a vengeance today against a Flyers team that usually, any other year, would be a tough opponent to play against. Gone are the Bruins' doppelgangers from Broad Street; in their place today were a soft team with ridiculously terrible defense that allowed six goals against, allowed Steve Mason to be chased after three goals, but won two fights! FACEPUNCHING. TRUCULENCE. But only one goal.
Zdeno Chara opened the scoring in the first on the power play, and Jarome Iginla made it 2-0 with only seconds left. Reilly Smith's goofy looking goal after he split the Flyers' D and made them look incredibly silly made it 3-0, and the Patrice Bergeron line made it 4-0 off a rebound when Brad Marchand turned the puck over to the Flyers goalie. In the third period, Claude Giroux scored on the PP to make it 4-1, but Jordan Caron drew a 4-minute penalty, and the Bruins capitalized twice. Three power play goals in one game!
- IGGY IGGY IGGY OI OI OI. Jarome Iginla had four points tonight, including two goals. How big of an acquisition has he been? Amazing.
- Zdeno Chara's two PPG were great. David Krejci had assists on both goals, and the power play in general looked incredible today. The Bruins sit 25th in PPG scored this year, but they're 30th in PP time; they're currently ranked 12th in PP%.
- Tuukka Rask looked every bit the $7million man on every Flyers breakaway tonight - not that there were many, but it was still excellent to see.
- Reilly Smith making the Flyers' defense look like an ECHL team was delightful, but possibly not as delightful as his face after that goal.
- Dougie Hamilton is back, and looked pretty decent tonight.
- Campbell and Boychuk fought and lost. Oh no it's like fighting has nothing to do with the scoresheet
- Ryan Spooner could probably have scored a goal tonight had he played. Terrible timing on getting sick there, guy.
- Zdeno Chara has 8 PPG this year and has also broken 8 sticks!
please refer to @peteblackburn's twitter feed from the game, thanks
Tweet of the day:
Aww that was such a tender hockey hug btw Chara and Iggy— TomServo42 (@tservo42) January 25, 2014