The Bruins’ first order of business has been settled, the new head coach is in place.
- Congratulations, Bruce Cassidy- you’ve been promoted to head coach. Boston Globe
- Sick call! Patrice Bergeron was fighting a nagging injury all season and Brandon Carlo was concussed by Alexander Ovechkin . MassLive
- Among Bruins lamenting missed playoff games was David Krejci, who accepted Chris Wideman’s apology for the un-penalized knee-on-knee hit. Was that why Guy Boucher benched Wideman in game 6? Providence Journal
- Zdeno Chara was a rock in the hard place that was the Bruins’ lot late in the season, mentoring the rookie defensemen called upon to plug sudden holes in the roster. He continues to demonstrate value- pay him, or another team will. Boston Herald
- Lalalalala... David Pastrnak is tuning out all the noise over his impending contract talks. Patriot Ledger
- The Bruins’ defense evolved suddenly and radically due to injuries. Kevan Miller went into full beast mode late in the season- Adam McQuaid or Colin Miller may now be likelier to become Las Vegas Golden Knights . Boston Globe.
- The three stars of the Bruins’ season are fittingly led by the new head coach. Boston.com
- Too many memories of the old Merlot Line seem to haunt this writer’s opinion regarding what ailed the Bruins this season. Wicked Local
- Here’s that eulogy for the Bruins season that we were looking for. Hang onto your sense of humor, now! Bonus- click on the link to that magnificent HNIC opening video from 2011. (With videos) Puck Daddy
Elsewhere around the rink:
- Overtime playoff hockey is a grind that takes a toll on teams. Finding rest and recharging is a key to postseason success. Sportsnet
- Lo, the NHL spake, and the size of goalie equipment decreased. Rending of garments and gnashing of teeth now ensues as unintended consequences strike again- even fewer goals were scored! The Hockey News
- In today’s serving of schadenfreude, get a load of this cake- the irony is delicious. Imgur, via Reddit
- NHL coaching positions in flux seem to occupy the bulk of Elliote Friedman’s Thirty Thoughts. Sportsnet