Just the facts:
When: 1 PM est
Where: TD Garden
How to Follow: NESN, 98.5 The Sports Hub
Rival Site: Silver Seven Sens
Know your Enemy
Unless you were away from the internet the entire offseason, you know there isn’t much left to the Sens. They traded away Mike Hoffman and Erik Karlsson without any notable players in return. Chris Tierney, who came from the Sharks in the Karlsson deal, has been playing a large role so far. Maxime Lajoie, a fifth round pick from 2016, scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game Thursday night against Chicago. He only scored 1 goal and 14 assists in 56 AHL games last season. Colin White, who played two seasons at Boston College, is on the first powerplay unit. He split time between the NHL and AHL last season recording 6 points in 21 games for Ottawa and 27 points in 47 games for Belleville. Brady Tkachuk is also expected to make his debut today. He appeared in 40 games for Boston University last season, recording 31 points. You also might remember his World Juniors performance as he recorded 9 points in 7 games. He was drafted 4th overall in June.
- The Bruins improved to 1-1-0 Thursday night with a demanding victory over the Sabres. With three days to evaluate their performance, it will be interesting to see if we find an improvement in their play.
- The Senators shocked the Maple Leafs Saturday night in a 5-3 victory. They are 1-0-1 as they lost in overtime to the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night.
- Anders Bjork will get another shot today. He played 11:34 Thursday night in Buffalo, recording only a hit and a 26% score and venue adjusted 5v5 CF%.
- We expect to see David Backes on the third line with Heinen and Bjork. Sean Kuraly will be demoted to fourth line center. We’ll confirm that later today.
- The Bruins scored 18 goals in 4 games against the Senators last season while only allowing 5. The Bruins swept the series. A 3-2 Bruins victory on January 25th was the closest affair, in which the Bruins attempted 71 shots, with 44 on goal.
Yes, the Ottawa Senators may be a division rival, but that doesn’t make them good for nothing. They bullied the Canadiens in an intense playoff series in 2013.