Just the facts
When: Tonight, 7 PM
Where: TD Garden - Boston, MA
How to follow: NESN, 98.5 The Sports Hub
Rival SBN site: Mile High Hockey
Know your enemy
- 18-8-2, 38 points, 2nd in the Central Division
- Goals: Nathan MacKinnon, 18
- Assists: MacKinnon, 26
- Points: MacKinnon, 44
- Goalie: Philipp Grubauer, 10-5-2, 2.75 GAA, .916 save percentage
- The Bruins have only lost 3 times in regulation this season, and the Avs were one of those 3 teams that kept the Bruins from getting a point. They beat the Bruins 4-2 back on October 10; you’ll remember that game as the one where the Bruins had 2 goals taken off the board by coach’s challenges.
- The Avs come into this game having won 5 games in a row, the latest a 3-2 win over Montreal on Thursday night.
- Nathan MacKinnon leads the Avs in all important statistical categories, but he’s far from the only stud on offense. Gabriel Landeskog, Mikko Rantanen, Cale Makar, and others have immense talent.
- Speaking of Makar, the former UMass Minuteman is running away with the Calder Trophy. The rookie has 8 goals and 20 assists in 28 games, which isn’t bad for any rookie, let alone a rookie defenseman.
- This will be Nazem Kadri’s first trip back to TD Garden since he got banned for the series in the first round last year. Expect some nice booing.
- The Bruins may elect to make a lineup change or two after a somewhat listless effort for large parts of Thursday night’s loss to Chicago. Brett Ritchie is healthy and ready to play, but David Backes had a good game Thursday. If Ritchie draws in, it may be for someone else.
- I wouldn’t be surprised to see John Moore get a night off after his return on Thursday. He tweaked something in that attempted fight, and while he got a clean bill of health after the game, it might make sense to not ask him to do too much too soon.
- I’d imagine Jaroslav Halak gets the start tonight.
- One final note: keep an eye on Gabriel Landeskog tonight. I may be imagining things, but I feel like he gets in a dust-up/does something borderline dirty every time the Avs play the Bruins.
See ya tonight!