For the first time in a while, the Providence Bruins only played two games over the weekend. They traveled to Lehigh Valley to take on the Phantoms on Friday and went to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Saturday to play the Penguins. Here is a recap of the weekend’s games.
Friday, March 15 vs. Lehigh Valley, 5-3 Win:
The P-Bruins used a hot start to fend off the Phantoms in their Friday night matchup. Zach Senyshyn scored 47 seconds into the first period and Lee Stempniak netted a goal of his own less than a minute later. David Kase scored for Lehigh Valley in the second to make it a 2-1 game.
The P-Bruins had three straight goals from Stempniak, Gemel Smith, and Peter Cehlarik in the third period to seal the win. Dan Vladar made 19 saves to secure the victory.
Saturday, March 16 vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 2-1 Overtime Loss:
Despite firing 37 shots on Tristan Jarry, the P-Bruins only found the back of the net once on Saturday. Ryan Fitzgerald scored his eighth goal of the season at 9:52 of the third to tie the game at one, but the Penguins picked up the extra point in overtime. Zane McIntyre made 26 saves in the loss.
The P-Bruins travel to Laval on Wednesday before returning home for two games against Belleville and Binghamton this weekend.
The P-Bruins are still fourth in the Atlantic Division with 74 points and are five points ahead of the fifth-place Penguins. The Magic number of points for the P-Bruins to clinch a playoff berth is 24.
- Paul Carey: 19 goals, 28 assists, 47 points in 50 games with Belleville and Providence (currently on recall in Boston)
- Jordan Szwarz: 19 goals, 16 assists, 35 points in 57 games
- Ryan Fitzgerald: 8 goals, 25 assists, 33 points in 50 games
Zane McIntyre: 22-10-6, 2.53 goals against average, 0.900 save percentage
Dan Vladar: 10-12-4, 2.76 goals against average, 0.900 save percentage
- Zach Senyshyn broke a 14-game goalless drought on Friday.
- Stuart Percy had two assists on Friday to give him his first two points since joining the P-Bruins.
- Ryan Fitzgerald’s goal on Saturday was his first since December 1, but the forward missed a significant amount of time with an injury in January.