It’s that time of the week, time to check in on the state of women’s hockey here in Boston.
Boston Pride (21-1-0) Standings: 1st (0 Points behind) *Clinched*
• Last Week: W 4-1 v Connecticut Whale (2/15)
• Next Week: @ Connecticut Whale (2/22), @ Metropolitan Riveters (2/23)
The Pride are just on cruise control at this point. They were able to take care of business in their final regular season home game. They will wrap up the season with a pair of road games as they get ready to play host to the winner of the 4/5 game.
Boston College (16-13-3, 14-10-2 HEA) SBN Poll: NR (-) HEA: 3rd (14 Points behind)
• Last week: W 3-1 v Harvard (2/11), W 3-2 OT @ Maine (2/14), L 1-2 OT@ Maine (2/15)
• Coming Week: @ New Hampshire (2/22)
The Eagles salvaged a bit of the season by beating Harvard to not finish last in the Beanpot. Then over the weekend they pulled off an overtime win but then threw away a chance to all but lock third place in Hockey East as they dropped the last game of the weekend. The math can be a bit fuzzy but if they win they lock up home ice at a minimum.
Boston University (22-6-4, 14-6-3 HEA) SBN Poll: 8 (+1) HEA: 2nd (9 Points behind)
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (L 3-4 2OT) v Northeastern (2/11), W 1-0 @ New Hampshire (2/15), W 2-0 v New Hampshire 2/16)
• Coming Week: v Connecticut (2/21, 2/22)
The Terriers got their hearts broken on their home ice as they were unable to defend their only varsity Beanpot title despite some last minute heroics to force overtime. After that though it was down to business and despite some clear focus issues BU had enough to lock up the second seed in HEA play.
Harvard University (15-11-1, 14-5-1 ECAC, 7-2-1 Ivy) SBN Poll: NR (-3) ECAC: 3rd (8 Points behind) Ivy: 2nd (8 Points behind)
• Last week: L 1-3 v Boston College (2/11), W 3-1 @ Rensselaer (2/14), W 3-2 OT @ Union (2/15)
• Coming Week: v Clarkson (2/21), v St. Lawrence (2/22)
The Crimson are rather enigmatic this season. They destroy BC 7-1 a little over a month ago in a regular game but when it matters in the Beanpot they just fell flat. While they are guaranteed a home playoff series they could use a few more points to avoid the better teams.
Northeastern University (26-4-2, 21-2-0 HEA) SBN Poll: 3 (-) HEA: 1st (0 Points behind) *Clinched*
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (W 4-3 2OT) @ Boston University (2/11), L 1-2 OT v Providence (2/14), W 4-1 @ Providence (2/15)
• Coming Week: @ Merrimack (2/21), v Merrimack (2/22)
Queens of Beans indeed. Though Coach Flint would’ve liked a little more focus on the games after their exhilarating Beanpot win he will be very happy with the additional trophy for his case. Despite the loss to Providence the Huskies got enough help to all but lock up a home NCAA tournament slot which will be important with how good the top 7 are this year.
Record This Week: 8-3-2