There are a whole bunch of phases when a team reveals a new jersey.
Normally, your first look is a leaked photo of some kind. Then, you’ll get the team teaser. After that, you get the fashion unveiling, then somewhere down the line, you get to see the whole thing in action.
Chances are your opinion of the jersey will vary over the course of those phases.
This was almost certainly the case when it came to your opinion on the Bruins’ new gold jersey, their entry in the “Reverse Retro” series.
It leaked early, then was released in a kind of fashion series, then we got the official promo shots.
Finally, we got to see it in action for the first time on Sunday, and I have to say: I liked it a lot more on the ice than I did in the promo photos.
It’s not that I didn’t like it before seeing them on the ice; I think my take could be best described as “these are fine.”
I was glad the B’s finally elected to go with gold, though the return of Pooh would have been better.
Ultimately, after seeing them on the ice, I think they look awesome.
- The gold looked great. It wasn’t a weird mustard color, nor was it some kind of attempt at shiny gold. It was pretty much straight-up yellow. It really popped on the ice, particularly with the outdoor scenery.
- The helmet/shoulder patch Meth Bear combo ruled. It was great to see the B’s bring that logo back, and having it on the black helmet and the gold jersey was a nice pairing. Next step: METH BEAR MAIN LOGO.
- I liked the mostly gold socks with the black and white stripes. It really helped tie the entire ensemble together.
- They nailed the numbering/lettering set-up.
The not so good
- I’m not crazy about the white at the end of the shirt sleeves. The stripes kind of look out of place. It’s not like the white somehow makes the jerseys a disaster, but they probably could have just extended the gold all the way down.
- They should have put Meth Bear on the pants instead of the “B” logo.
- I’m not sure how they could have done it, but incorporating some gold into the gloves would have been a nice touch.
Overall: excellent. The “not as good” stuff is pretty nitpicky, honestly.
It’s great that the Bruins finally went with a bold color, and the complete set-up in action looked awesome.
The B’s should make these their alternates this season, and should work them into the mix whenever possible.
How do you feel about the Reverse Retros after Sunday?
This poll is closed
Like them more than before
Like them the same as before
Like them less than before